Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
.mix files
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]
This Topic has 9 pages :  [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Previous ]

perfect
Date Posted: Dec/01/2004 11:27 PM
Print Thread Text Format
OK, I've just read through two years of this thread. I tried every single software recommendation, including Polybytes, which opened the mix file but distorted it. So here's my questions based on doing all that I've seen here that did not work: Will Photodraw 2000 work in Windows XP? I have a copy of it, however, I am not anxious to reformat yet again or reload my other software if it doesn't.

I use Office 2003, and none of the methods for inserting pictures into Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher, nothing works. It would seem that Microsoft has totally eliminated the .mix extention from their vocabulary. I am at a loss as to why this is so, when every other graphics software extention is covered. I have a bunch of old photos that belong to my daughter that she created in Photodraw. When I upgraded her computer, it never occurred to me to check and see if her mix files would open. I think every person who has had this problem should send hate mail to microsoft for doing this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind that I am running the newest version of damn near everything. I did find a software package that converts, but they want $125 for it, and I refuse to pay out that kind of money.

Send replies to if there is someone willing to save me the hassle and convert these pictures for me. I can upload them to my server.

Thanks,
Lynn

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Dec/02/2004 1:45 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Please Note:... I don't have Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000 on my new computer so will not be able to convert .mix files for anyone SORRY!..

Lynn... Yes, I did have PhotoDraw running on Windows XP Professional on my old computer without any problems... I use Adobe CS practically exclusively for my digital work (PhotoDraw was just not up to it IMHO) and therefore included my copy of PhotoDraw with the sale of my old machine...

Sorry to all those who sent me .mix files for conversion in the last couple of months...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Tman
Date Posted: Dec/15/2004 11:10 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Thanks for the tips! I successfully converted some older *.mix files using the MS Works Word Processor in Windows XP. I used the INSERT, PICTURE, FROM FILE command to select the *.mix file and it opened the picture in Works. Then I copied the picture and pasted it into a new document in my photo editing program Photo Studio 5.5 and then saved it as a jpeg. You can also paste it into MS Paint and save it as a jpeg or bmp.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Jackson-Computers
Date Posted: Dec/19/2004 1:20 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Hello to everyone who is frustrated with these mix files. I had one of my customers bring this problem to me many months ago. I tried all the suggestions that all of you suggested, and nothing worked but Polyview. However ... because of the editing that was done with these mix files, a pink line appeared around the images when I saved them as a .jpg file. I tried opening the mix files with 3 different versions of Picture It that I found through file sharing places like Kazaa, but they all said "These files were created with a newer version of Picture It". I sent a few pictures to some of you who were kind enough to convert them for me, and I pretty much abandoned trying to fix them myself .... until now. I recently built a computer for someone, and I noticed that they had a stack of cds that were "bundled" with their old Gateway computer. Their was a 6-disc cd set for Microsoft Works Suite 2001. Disc 3&4 are the Picture It Publishing 2001. I contacted my old customer, and I took these cds to his house, and sure enough he was able to open all his old mix files, and utilize the old Picture It program that he had somehow lost. I have another customer who had an old HP computer that also had the "bundled" version of Picture It included in a Microsoft Works Suite package. If anyone would like more information on my findings, feel free to drop me an email.

Bottom
Next
Previous

perfect
Date Posted: Dec/19/2004 6:26 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I downloaded PolyView, but all the mix files I tried to open or convert came out with distorted colors. I have an old copy of Photodraw but it won't work on my computer using Windows XP Pro. I used to have Office XP, but I recently upgraded to Office 2003. This newer version does not see mix files like Office XP did, in any of the applications it comes with. If I had known this, I would not have upgraded, yet. At this rate, it looks like I'll have to acquire an older computer that has Windows 98 or 2000 (grimace) in order to install PhotoDraw and convert them.

As a precaution, I would not advise trying to load any version of PhotoDraw on a Windows XP Pro machine, especially if SP2 is installed. This seriously compromised my computer and I had to restore it to a previous time frame to get things to work right again. This restore feature is one of the few things microsoft did right in XP.

Bravo to all of you who managed to convert your files. My sympathies to those who have tried everything mentioned in this thread, as I have. You probably won't find a way without using an older OS or spending a large amount of money on a proprietary application. Fortunately, I save all my images as Jpegs or Gifs. My daughter was not so savvy.

Lynn

Bottom
Next
Previous

Revilohm
Date Posted: Dec/28/2004 12:39 PM
Print Thread Text Format
I've been using Microsoft PhotoDraw for almost five years and have many MIX files. Recently I updated my Windows OS and PhotoDraw no longer functions. I thought I had lost these files but I found the answer to my delima.

What I found corrects a couple of problems mentioned in this thread. I can now convert the .MIX files and still not have to pay Bill Gates (or anyone else) more money.

The secret is OpenOffice 2.0. This is an open source MS Office type suite that has many nice features. You can open, edit and save most Microsoft Office files (except Access and some complex Excel files). OpenOffice even allows you to save your files in Adobe PDF format. It is a large (80 MB) download but it is FREE.

To get OpenOffice, go to http://download.openoffice.org/680/ and download the latest file for the OpenOffice 2 project.

Save the download, unzip it with WinZip and then install OpenOffice. It starts up a little slower than MS Office but for the price I can accept a little slower.

To convert the MIX files just open them in OpenOffice Draw and export them as JPG.

Hope this helps many of you.

-------------------------
You shouldn't say that the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

Message edited by: Revilohm on 12/28/2004 12:43:17

Bottom
Next
Previous

perfect
Date Posted: Dec/28/2004 9:18 PM
Print Thread Text Format
I was so excited to see the previous reply and possible solution that I immediately downloaded OpenOffice.org 2.0. But once again, I am disappointed. Nowhere in any of the applications in this suite do I see .mix as an extention that is recognized. Not only does it not open my .mix files, it won't import them into the word processor either. How is it that the same program allows you to do this and not me I wonder? I did a complete install of 78M. Please tell me how you converted .mix files to jpegs with this program when .mix is not listed as an extention?

Lynn

Bottom
Next
Previous

Revilohm
Date Posted: Dec/30/2004 8:17 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Sorry to any of you who were mislead by my last entry. I honestly thought it might help all of you. However, further checking after Lynn's last entry makes it appear that this will work only if PhotoDraw was loaded on the computer previously. I checked this out using a virtual computer created in VMWare and sure enough, I could not load MIX files with OpenOffice.

On my real computer, I had PhotoDraw loaded and it stopped working after I updated my Windows OS. It appears that only the interface is corrupted. Since the support files are still on the computer OpenOffice somehow can use them and that allows me to open the MIX files while PhotoDraw can't. I will continue to look for help for the rest of you though.

Again, sorry
Hunter

You shouldn't say that the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

Bottom
Next
Previous

gdoherty
Date Posted: Dec/31/2004 3:53 AM
Print Thread Text Format
holy s*+t people!

i've never seen such a thread in all my life... i started on the first page (sometime in 2002) and went straight to the end - what a messy file format!

thanks to whoever suggested polyview, it works fine for me!

i'm using windows 2000/office 2000/photoshop, and i don't think i've ever had any photo-draw stuff installed.

- i went to http://www.polybytes.com/download.htm and downloaded the latest version of polyview (do a google search (eg "download polyview") if you're seeing this thread in years to come and the above link has changed).
- i installed the software
- i opened the application
- i went to file -> open (make sure you are viewing 'All Files' in the 'Files of Type:' box)
- opened the .mix image
- went to file -> export image...
- followed the options there to export it as a .jpeg and it works fine in other (real) photo-apps

many thanks to all who've posted on this one.

gdoherty

Bottom
Next
Previous

Eric
Date Posted: Dec/31/2004 4:43 AM
Hi! I am from Russia. I run Microsoft PictureIt Publishing and I would be happy to convert your .mix files to any extension you want eg. .jpeg .gif .png .fpx .pcx .tif .tga .bmp and other versions of .mix files for PictureIt 2000, 99 and v2.0 Send me and email
Cheers.

Yaroslav

Bottom
Next
Previous

bigben
Date Posted: Jan/20/2005 5:53 AM
Print Thread Text Format
which software should i download so i will be able to open up the picture they have sent me? it is in .mix... i cant open it. thanks for your reply.

Bottom
Next
Previous

RoneTyne
Date Posted: Jan/25/2005 12:57 PM
Print Thread Text Format
No longer having success.

Message edited by: RoneTyne on 08/21/2006 07:31:46

Bottom
Next
Previous

elsiecatt
Date Posted: Mar/03/2005 10:16 AM
Thank you sooooooo much for posting up about viewing MIX files.
I'd been searching for months for a solution. It worked perfectly on XP. I have access to other OSs so will try it out on those.
thanks again.

Bottom
Next
Previous

elsiecatt
Date Posted: Mar/03/2005 10:20 AM
Many thanks to anonymous for the info on viewing MIX files. It worked!!!!!

Bottom
Next
Previous

Delyos
Date Posted: Nov/12/2005 2:32 PM
Print Thread Text Format
My grandmother has been scanning and storing images for years on her computer. Unfortunately the last time her computer was repaired/upgraded she completely lost her ability to view any of the earliest ones that were saved as .mix files. The Polyview program (www.polyview.com/downloads) batch converted 159 files from .mix to .jpg in under 3 minutes. Thank you guys SO much.
Delyos

Bottom
Next
Previous

JHolmes2070
Date Posted: Dec/24/2005 6:59 PM
Print Thread Text Format
I have two versions of Picture it and somehow saved half of my old digital camera pics in the .mix format. What a pain ! There isn't even a mass convert process if you have the program.

After reading through a lot of this post the thing that saved me tons of time was Polyview.
Polyview

It took about 2 minutes once it was installed to figure it out and convert over 100 pictures.

Thanks for all the help.

I actually like picture for editing pictures but that mix format is junk. I'll be looking for a better picture editor now.

Jon

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Dec/25/2005 2:34 AM
Wow! what a thread, it's amazing it's run this long. This is the reason I wonder if .DNG files will someday end up this hard to convert. Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Dec/25/2005 3:51 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Wayne, No way... DNG is supported by more than one program and more and more are joining the bandwagon... Merry Christmas...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Enoch
Date Posted: Dec/25/2005 5:31 AM
Kenny is correct, in fact I think DNG will be as big as jpg and tiff someday.

"walked with God and was no more"

Bottom
Next
Previous

dvjj
Date Posted: May/07/2006 12:45 PM
I am not very clever at computing someone sent me some of these .mix files can anyone convert them for me, I have to email them as it's a 3mb file and can't upload onto here from what I have read. Thanks anyone who can help. Di x

When life deals you lemons make lemonade!

Bottom
Next
Previous
This Topic has 9 pages :  [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Previous ]
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.