Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
30D + RAW
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

tvsms
Date Posted: Mar/12/2008 2:09 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone with a 30D, using RAW & PSCS2 (with Bridge) can help with this question.

Am I right to think that any adjustments made in-camera such as sharpening is ignored in the RAW file? The software assumes you will do all that adjusting in Bridge and starts with zero sharpening!

I have taken the same shot setting the in-camera sharpness at the lowest and then at the highest. When they are opened in Bridge there is no difference. Is this what is expected or have I missed something in the set up in Bridge?

I see that the stored file info from the 30D covers a wide range of subjects. This is what Canon tell me is stored:-

File name
Camera Model Name
Firmware Version
Shooting Date/Time
Tv(Shutter Speed)
Av(Aperture Value)
Metering Modes
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
Focal Length
Image size
Image Quality
Flash
White Balance
AF mode
Picture Style
Parameters
Color matrix
Color Space
File Size
Drive Mode
Owner's Name
Camera Body No.

The sharpness is controlled in "Picture Style". I think Canon are answering the questions based on the original software that come with the camera and not necessarily what Bridge does. What do you think?

Trevor

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Mar/12/2008 2:37 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
RAW is just that, it's the data from the cameras processor, theres no sharpening applied, and they will often look quite soft as the anti alias filter blurs the image slightly (jpegs are sharpened slightly to compensate for this) you also have to choose the colour space when converting from RAW, adobe RGB, pro photo or SRGB are to most common choices. Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/12/2008 2:44 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Bridge its self is just a viewer... When you click on the image to open it you are transferred to camera raw...
Yes whatever sharpness settings are applied in picture styles will be set in camera raw, because the style is embedded in the metadata... What camera raw does is let you alter those settings...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Zinger
Date Posted: Mar/12/2008 3:57 PM

<< Yes whatever sharpness settings are applied in picture styles will be set in camera raw >>

Really? I thought that ACR completely ignores the picture styles setting for a RAW file. I thought only Canon's software uses that info unless it's a JPG, where it is applied before compression.

Not trying to argue, Kenny, but I'm just curious why you say that. Is that just common knowledge and I'm behind the times?

Bottom
Next
Previous

tvsms
Date Posted: Mar/12/2008 4:04 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Interesting comments so far.

My experience comparing in-camera zero sharpening with max sharpening seems to agree with Zinger.

I spotted this in the Bridge help site:-

Bridge quote:-
Camera raw image files contain the actual data captured by the sensor without any incamera processing; these are the only files containing pure data. Working with camera raw files gives you maximum control; you can set the white balance, tonal range, contrast, color saturation, and sharpening. Think of camera raw files as your photo negative. You can reprocess the file at any time to achieve the results you want.

Does it help?

Trevor

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/12/2008 4:39 PM
Print Thread Text Format
My mistake I mistyped, please accept my humblest apologies ...

I wrote...
Yes whatever sharpness settings are applied in picture styles will be set in camera raw, because the style is embedded in the metadata

It should have read..
Yes whatever sharpness settings are applied in picture styles will be set in Bridge, because the style is embedded in the metadata

The image shown in bridge is actually a jpeg representation of the image taken, therefore it has all the characteristics of the picture style... It's not until the data is opened in camera raw that you start reading the actual RAW data, which of course will not have the picture style embedded...

I should learn to read all the question as this is what I was answering...
I have taken the same shot setting the in-camera sharpness at the lowest and then at the highest. When they are opened in Bridge there is no difference. Is this what is expected or have I missed something in the set up in Bridge?

The references here are to Bridge and not camera raw, that's why I stated that bridge is only a viewer...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Law
Date Posted: Mar/12/2008 6:33 PM
So if you shoot raw,and you do custom WB shooting a grey card,the corrected WB does not show in Bridge? What about Lightroom? Larry

-------------------------
If I don`t make sense,...Oh well.
Also-I have forgotten more about photography than I will ever know.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/13/2008 3:57 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I don't have lightroom so I can't comment...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Zinger
Date Posted: Mar/13/2008 11:11 AM

<< So if you shoot raw,and you do custom WB shooting a grey card,the corrected WB does not show in Bridge? >>

Sure it does. There's a setting in the ACR WB tab called "As Shot". That setting uses whatever WB the camera used, whether it's daylight, auto, custom, etc.

I'm not sure about lightroom though.

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Mar/13/2008 12:11 PM
Both lightroom and bridge should show RAW with the as shot white ballance (mine do anyway).
Here are two shots one with the white ballance set to artificial light (to show the blue colour) shown in bridge and lightroom. Wayne

cb1.jpgcb1.jpg ( 174 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

Law
Date Posted: Mar/17/2008 11:06 AM
Thanks Guys. I thought it did but with what I was reading here made me second guess myself. Larry

-------------------------
If I don`t make sense,...Oh well.
Also-I have forgotten more about photography than I will ever know.

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.