Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Online proof preview images
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

PhotoKathy
Date Posted: May/10/2010 9:14 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I have low res proofs from a recent shoot on a web page so the customer can preview them for ordering, and they called me yesterday to say, my kid's eyes have dark circles... when I zoom in on the screen I can see dog hair on the carpet....

Wow. How hard is it to understand that a disclaimer *on the same web page* that says "these are unedited, unretouched previews" and "images that are ordered for prints will be retouched" means exactly that. Which I had also explained in person....

And with the "edit only those ordered" business model, the customer also does not understand what takes so long after giving me the order until they get the prints.

Maybe I need a different business model... edit first, then post them? But with a large number of images, that's a huge commitment of time and no guarantee that enough prints will be ordered to make it worth the time.

Which do YOU do -- edit all first before making proofs available (so the customer sees previews that truly reflect what the prints will be) - OR display the unedited proofs and touch up only those that are ordered?

-------------------------
Canon user (50D).

Bottom
Next
Previous

Paparazzi Cathy
Date Posted: May/11/2010 3:37 PM
You will lose either way. If you do the editing first, you risk editing pictures that won't be ordered. However, it seems that the customer should see the final picture.

(I edited pics before giving to the parents from the daycare. Mostly to clean up snotty faces, and boo-boos.)

No one takes a picture of something they want to forget.

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: May/12/2010 3:19 PM
I never show all the images I take. For seniors and family portraits they see about 20 proofs out of about 60 or so shots. These are then retouched to remove blems, soften complextion, etc. so the customer sees what they will get.

In some peoples minds if you say retouched they think $$$. Most likely they won't ask about a charge but they will be thinking it.

Message edited by: E. on 05/12/2010 15:21:27

Bottom
Next
Previous

PhotoKathy
Date Posted: May/14/2010 1:36 AM
I guess this is the benefit of "package pricing" - gives enough profit margin to cover the cost of your time retouching X number of images.

But then, the customer wonders why it takes so long to see their pictures! (e.g. "They're digital, so I can see them tomorrow, right?")

Yeah, this actual customer thing is still new to me. I'll work thru my bugs and find a better balance soon enough, I'm sure.

Canon user (50D).

Bottom
Next
Previous

Easy8
Date Posted: May/12/2017 8:37 PM
Print Thread Text Format
I shoot tethered an put the photos I like into a folder no more than 5 of each pose. I than show them to client who picks the one they want right there an now.

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.