Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
What are the essentials for wedding photography?
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

jhonmartinvish
Date Posted: Sep/14/2012 2:39 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I have the basics, a nice dslr, various lenses, and I'm working on getting a nice tripod. But what else? I know a good quality flash would be beneficial. And for any professionals, what is a good way to get started with a portfolio for weddings. I mean how do I get my first material to show the client I can produce quality images?

--------------------

print on canvas

Message edited by: jhonmartinvish on 07/18/2013 08:25:50

Bottom
Next
Previous

Steve
Date Posted: Sep/14/2012 6:18 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I would suggest getting with an established wedding photographer, work with them, gain experience, branch out from there. Equipment is only the initial factor of any photography. Skill is developed by doing and improving. Good luck!

-------------------------
Steve

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination..... Mark Twain

Bottom
Next
Previous

nes
Date Posted: Sep/14/2012 4:10 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Do everything I did not do. :-)

If you need to ask about things like flash and camera, you are not ready.

Being a wedding photographer is about more than snapping pictures. It a business. You need to know about marketing, sales, lead generation, AP/AR, setting up vendor relationships, networking, collecting and paying taxes....

When you are ready, don't sell yourself short. Know who you are, what you are willing to do, and do not compromise. My experience is that if you give a little, it never stops. Clients who have gotten you discount for example will only become more demanding of 'special treatment' as the event and your service goes on (about 90% of the time). Do not give away your service to just build a portfolio. Don't use just any pictures to represent yourself - only show your best.

As Steve suggested, find a photographer whose style you like and go work with them. You may or may not get paid. While some get away with not paying their dues, it is rare. When my studio was up and running I welcomed up and coming photographers to come shoot with me. Instead of paying by the job, they were paid for any images they took that sold, and were given a release to use images they had taken for their private portfolio. Try and find something like that.

When I started I had no wedding images to show, but I did have family images. They showed my style and quality of work. It took a bit to grow from there, but with patience it did. After the first year I adjusted my prices to market. If you act like it is what you are worth, potential clients will probably not question it. Decide what market you want to work in (budget, average, upper class), and adjust the prices and services accordingly.

I decided I wanted complete control of how images looked as finished products, as a result I did not give away digital. If someone took a disk to Walmart for example, the prints they showed would reflect on me, so any color issues, or product issues will be assumed about the quality work I do.

Good luck.

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Sep/15/2012 4:50 AM
As Steve and Nes have said, it's not just about the kit.

Weddings can be difficult, your often working with tricky lighting, uncooperative children and drunk people. You'll be working in all weathers, so you need to know how to still get shots if it's pouring down and the couple won't go outside.

Your working with vicars who won't allow flash (or pics at all sometimes) with venues who will pressure you to finish your pics so they can feed the guests early (then the waitresses go home early) and with couples who sometimes can be their own worst enemy.
You need to know your camera inside out, be able to change setting in the dark without looking, seriously!.

You'll need backups of everything, camera, lens, flash the lot, and I'd suggest at least 2 back-ups, I've had two cameras fail in one job many years back, I switched to a third and carried on (and that was top of the range well mantained and looked after pro cameras)

You need to work as a second photographer with a pro for a while untill you learn the skills needed, it's not just photography, managing the guests is a big part of it.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Sep/15/2012 12:57 PM
Print Thread Text Format
You will also need a reserve/backup photographer, or good insurance... If you have a wedding booked and you are ill, you will still have to go, or risk being sued if you don't... You need more than the basics to be a wedding photographer, you will need to know how to handle uncle Joe when he takes every shot that you have set up... You will need to think on your feet and be able to cope in any tricky lighting and weather conditions like contrasty lighting,torrential rain and high winds (as previously stated by Wayne)... Offer your services as an assistant to a pro watching how a pro handles these situations (also previously stated by Nes & Wayne...

You will need a wedding agreement so both parties know what is expected in terms of image numbers and type of images produced...

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Sep/16/2012 6:32 AM
"You will also need a reserve/backup photographer, or good insurance."

What Kenny says is good advice, one of my local photographers (a mate) had a serious road accident on the friday before a booking on the weekend (he's still off work nearly 6 months later)luckly theres a few of us who have arranged to cover for each other, so he was ok.
Something else to keep in mind though.

Bottom
Next
Previous

nes
Date Posted: Sep/20/2012 8:04 PM
Good storage plan. What are you going to do to make sure you do not loose digital images. We (my husband and myself) carried 3-4 cameras (and yes we have been glad we did that - especially when DH dropped one during the ceremony). Everything we did was done on multiple cameras with different type lenses. In addition to that, we never deleted a disk - get enough of them that you do not have to. I subscribe to lots of 2 vs. 4 - If I do loose a disk, a smaller portion of the wedding disappears (even though I have duplicates of the segment on other cameras).

Back up photographer and insurance are both a must. Get a lawyer to write your contract template. I herniated disks on three occasions, while I still attended the weddings and shot, I had my back up there to act as lead photographer.

If we have not scared you off, you will find it can be some of the best times you have shooting, however it is not for everyone.

Bottom
Next
Previous

wilsonclark
Date Posted: Oct/04/2012 1:27 AM
Photography needs lots of skills, vision and well execution of light setting. Tools are important in photography but skills and photographic vision come after the experience. I am agree that you should work with some good photographers and learn some tips and tricks.

Message edited by: wilsonclark on 10/04/2012 01:28:27

Bottom
Next
Previous

carrollove
Date Posted: Jul/17/2013 7:02 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Wonderful wedding photography tips!! Greatly shared the live experience. When the photographers follows these points, they can produce a amazing results. Thanks for the share!!!

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Jul/17/2013 7:27 AM
Just to give any budding wedding photographers an idea of what it can be like.

In the last month I've had... wedding cars not show up. A family dispute which meant a fair few of the guests left the wedding. The bride loose her house keys and panic (she had to leave the house unlocked) A vicar cancel the wedding a week before, so the couple had to find a new church. The wedding guests vintage bus break down.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kim_kennedy
Date Posted: Mar/24/2014 2:43 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Hi Everyone here.. As Steve suggested, first of all you should start assisting a professional wedding photographer. It will give you a brief idea about professional wedding photography. Getting started with portfolios is also a good option, as it will help you to show your work to clients. If you want you can also join some photography courses.

-------------------------
Wedding Photographer in Auckland

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.