Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Strange technique
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Raptor
Date Posted: Aug/05/2012 9:16 AM
Print Thread Text Format
So Im looking for some help understanding this.

I was at a wedding yesterday. There were 3 photographers. 2 things clearly caught my attention and by reception I just had to ask one of them for some answers.

1. Every shot that all 3 were taking was oriented horizontally. I mean every one. When I asked one of the photographers whey she responded with that is how they were instructed to shoot.
2. They were all only using on camera direct flash, no flack bracket or diffuser. They did at the very end of the reception begin using some bounce off the ceiling for some shots on the dance floor. I didn't bother to ask about this one.

The best I could come up with a recipe for ton of post production work. I assume they plan to crop some of the horizontal work into vertical images later? I dont get the idea of dumping the extra pixels from the image just to do this.

I would imagine the lighting on many of the images has to be very harsh from all of that on camera direct flash.

Anyone have any input on this?

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Aug/06/2012 6:16 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Well, to be honest I suspect they are shooting horizontally because they are using on camera flash, this keeps the shadow sort of behind the subject (turn the camera on it's side and you get a big shadow) some of the newer cameras have enough resolution to crop out a decent shot.

On camera direct flash is one of the less flattering lighting set-ups, I assume they were either inexperienced or couldn't be bothered to do it properly, I'm courious why they started to use bounce at the end, just playing or learning I wonder???

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Aug/08/2012 5:56 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Answer to question 1... If that's how they were instructed to shoot by the client, right or wrong, that's what they should do...
Answer to question 2... Maybe they didn't have diffusers or off camera cords, or it could be just lack of experience. Maybe the client only wanted reportage shots, our likes are not always other peoples choices.

Personally I think three photographers is over the top unless they are using the 'If I don't get a decent shot maybe the others will' method of photography... Not an ideal situation for weddings...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Steve
Date Posted: Aug/08/2012 6:16 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I agree with Kenny. Three photographers is a bit much. I have shot plenty of weddings as he 2nd shooter. My job was to get to the places the primary couldn't get, work with the groom while they worked with the bride, and get candids. They concentrated on the formals, etc.

-------------------------
Steve

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination..... Mark Twain

Bottom
Next
Previous

Raptor
Date Posted: Aug/08/2012 11:05 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Kenny: Im sorry for not being more clear. It was not the bride that instructed them to shoot landscape. It was the lead photographer that instructed everyone.

Yes 3 did seem a bit much. All seemed very professional and respectful but still cant get over direct on camera flash.

Sounds like a whole lot of post work.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Steve
Date Posted: Aug/09/2012 5:25 AM
Print Thread Text Format
It does sound like a lot of post work. They either have a lot of time on their hands or they ship it off to a company that specalizes in "send it in we fix it."

Steve

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination..... Mark Twain

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Aug/10/2012 1:56 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Sounds like a hired photographer with a couple of back up photographers for safety... IMHO, any photographer worth their salt and acting independently, but under the same boss, would compose and execute the images in the best way they seem fit. Maybe the main photographer was scared that the other two might produce better images if given a free range to shoot as they like...
I've shot with on camera flash in manual mode set at 1/128 power just as a fill light, but must agree harsh on camera flash and landscape orientation does mean a heap of unnecessary post processing work...
As long as the B&G are happy with the results that's all that counts, even though it does seem a strange way of going about shooting a wedding...
Somebody must like spending hours playing with images on their computers just for the sake of it...

Message edited by: kennymc on 08/10/2012 02:00:55

Bottom
Next
Previous

Savina
Date Posted: Aug/27/2012 4:59 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
...or charging by the hour!

CC always welcome! And thanks! :D
You're never a failure when you fail. You're a failure when you QUIT!

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.