Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
My first wedding shoot...
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]
This Topic has 2 pages :  [ 1 | 2 | Next ]

Savina
Date Posted: Jul/02/2010 1:16 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I had so much fun!

-------------------------
CC always welcome! And thanks! :D
You're never a failure when you fail. You're a failure when you QUIT!

422_edited-3.jpg422_edited-3.jpg ( 174 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

JeannetteB
Date Posted: Jul/02/2010 3:20 PM
I like it Savina, do you have more to share?

Where there's a will there's a way...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Steve
Date Posted: Jul/02/2010 3:21 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Looks like they had fun too. It is a winner when the couple is comfortable with you as a photographer to get good shots.

Steve

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination..... Mark Twain

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: Jul/02/2010 8:44 PM
Pretty dog gone good especially for a first time wedding. However, remember people getting married are in love and people in love hold hands. Bring his hand up to her's on the flowers to get that special little bit of extra connection between the two of them. There is a good look of "we are having fun" look on both faces. Good capture.

Message edited by: E. on 07/02/2010 20:47:34

Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Jul/02/2010 8:57 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Beautiful Savina!!

My camera is for pleasure, not for pressure

Bottom
Next
Previous

Savina
Date Posted: Jul/03/2010 9:35 PM
Wow, thanks! I will post some more...she asked for some with color selection, which I know a lot of you aren't fond of. But she loved them!

Message edited by: Savina on 07/03/2010 21:38:06

364_edited-1.jpg364_edited-1.jpg ( 204 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

Savina
Date Posted: Jul/03/2010 9:43 PM

430_edited-1.jpg430_edited-1.jpg ( 185 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

Savina
Date Posted: Jul/03/2010 9:48 PM
364 was pretty soft in color...it srill is, but it seems to be toned down a bit in b&w....she only wants 5x7s and 4x6s, so I don't think it will be too obvious. I think 430 was my favorite moment of the day...thanks again for your comments.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Savina
Date Posted: Jul/11/2010 10:23 PM
There were SO MANY cameras on this couple! I understand why wedding photogs don't allow other photogs at the event! My couple had to literally go around a circle,"Now smile for Mom, now Nathalie, now Debbie, now Dee (me), now Scott"...geez, the bride actually said her cheeks hurt from smiling!

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: Jul/12/2010 2:56 PM
That is why I politly take control of the session. I'm first to shoot and there is no waiting for other to grab their shot. I do wonder how many times I've been stepping into some ones shot to rearange the couple???

I do like the expressions on that last shot. However, I prefer bent arms and the brides ring to show. Slip her hand put of his pit and place it nicely ok his chest. This will give a nice intimate connection and show off here rock.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Savina
Date Posted: Jul/17/2010 10:59 PM
I see that now E. Will pay more attention to that in the future! Thanks so much!

Bottom
Next
Previous

GadgetGal
Date Posted: Jul/22/2010 10:18 PM
Savina, that's a very pretty capture of a couple in love. Great job. I still critique and learn from every single shot I take. Best advice I could give other than relax and they will have fun and the emotion will be there and that's the most important at least to me.

Patty
Website

Bottom
Next
Previous

nes
Date Posted: Aug/31/2010 3:47 PM
Nice captures of a couple in love.

Just a note on the color selection.

Zoom in more when you do it. there is green between her face and his on the first one, and on the one where the flowers are in color, not all the petals were colored in, but instead were left in bw.

Its just a small detail thing, but I thought you might benefit from having that drawn to your attention. I have found working with a pad for this process and using masks to be the quickest and cleanest way to achieve the look.

And yep its been a long time since I've been here - a hard year. Closed the studio -not because of business, but because of health. I now walk with a walker, and well that just doesn't impose a sense of security in the bride when I sometimes cant stand for more then 5 min.

Wrapping up the last of my work.

And....I went back to college. School started last week, I average 6 hours a day of study time. I'll try to stop in more often.

You did a great job for a first attempt - keep up the good work.

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Sep/01/2010 3:41 AM

<< There were SO MANY cameras on this couple!I understand why wedding photogs don't allow other photogs at the event! My couple had to literally go around a circle,"Now smile for Mom, now Nathalie, now Debbie, now Dee (me), now Scott"...geez, the bride actually said her cheeks hurt from smiling! >>

Some do some don't, it's not that easy to enfore though, do you chuck out the guests with cameras? that'll make you poplar, and in a public place you may not be able to anyway, here in the UK it's legal to shoot in a public place, so you couldn't stop the guests from taking pics if it's a park or something, even at a venue the hotel (or whatever) could ask them to leave but you probably couldn't legally.
Just make sure your pics are better than theirs.

Bottom
Next
Previous

nes
Date Posted: Sep/01/2010 8:44 PM
"We appreciate how eager you all are to get some pictures, but because of limited time, it is important for us to get our images in. What we'll do is take our picture, and then we will tell you when you can. Unfortunately if more then one person is standing up with a camera the couple doesn't know where to look and then all their pictures are off." We set up, we take our shots..."ok your turn" I count to5 then I step in front of couple and move to next shot, have everyone else sit down and repeat.

If we are really pressed for time: "the church is only giving us a limited amount of time to get the shots the bride really wants, please let us get those for her,and then we will be more then happy to step out of the way for you if time allows."

I also usually will show a younger shooter how to frame up a picture to get something nice. It takes a second to do and goes a long way in how the guests perceive you.

As long as you act like you know what you are doing, and dont let the crowd take control, uncle bob with his camera wont get in your way, nor will his pictures cost you in sales.

Now we operated on everything paid up front, so even if they liked bobs pics, they already paid for mine, I made the money I wanted, any additional sales are icing on the cake.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Savina
Date Posted: Sep/06/2010 9:45 PM
Thanks for the advice, all. Not sure if I want to get into wedding photography or not. I will take it all into consideration IF I ever take on such a task again!
nes, so sorry about your health issues...I imagine that is very frustrating. I don't know what you're going to college for (congrats on that, BTW) but I was thinking you'd make a great teacher if you're unable to shoot now. I learned the hard way to zoom in on my pix when editing for color selection. I recently took photos of my little girl at a football game, she is cheering this year. I had to zoom in and look around that one a lot. Will try to post that one in sports (?)...thanks for your help! Take care...

Bottom
Next
Previous

nes
Date Posted: Sep/07/2010 2:04 PM
When I graduated high school back in the early 80's, I majored in Psychology with a double minor in Elementary Education and Child Development. Didn't finish, instead got married to a great guy (we just celebrated 23 years together). In 2000 I attended a tech school nearby to study for website development, but ended up mostly taking photoshop courses and advertising classes. I got pneumonia and was hospitalized for 14 days the week of finals. The majority of my teachers were great, and based my final grade on what I had already done prior to going to the hospital, however one teacher (algebra - in which prior to hospital I had a 98% in) was a jerk and failed me for not taking the final, and would not give me a chance to make it up. That frustrated me enough to stop going. In and around that same time, I opened my studio, and for the past decade I have been concentrating on all aspects of that endeavor.

Over the last couple of years a couple of things happened. One was I developed lower back issues, making it nearly impossible without the heavy use of some serious narcotics for me to survive shooting a wedding. In addition, a medication I had been on resulted in permanent condition that at times causes my hands to shake uncontrollable. It quickly became evident that it was unfair to commit to someone to shoot their wedding as I had know way of knowing how I would be on their big day. Since last August I have been dealing with this new reality.

Needing to do something, and experience a purpose for living, I have decided to go back to school with the goal of getting my masters in Psychology/counseling. At this time, I can see my self working with adolescent girls dealing with issues like depression, poor body image, self harming behaviors and such in both a group DBT situation, as well as in a one-on-one capacity.

Its been since last August that I've been able to pick up a camera. I still have albums I am designing, and I get to enjoy playing around with photoshop still, but things like selective color and nearly impossible for me know, as I cant keep my hands still enough.

Probably way more information then you needed, but that is what's been up with me and why I've not been around much.

I would like to continue on here, addressing posts that fall into my experience level. If what i have to share can help someone else out, I am happy to contribute. I sit here jealous of you all, and will be living my photography persona thru you all.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Steve
Date Posted: Sep/08/2010 5:41 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Nes - Sorry to hear about your back issues. I had a friend who had nerve issues with his Camera hand and arm. It almost drove him nuts, but things eventually worked out. I hope you continue to improve and that you will continue to share your insight with us.

Steve

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination..... Mark Twain

Bottom
Next
Previous

nes
Date Posted: Sep/08/2010 10:06 AM
Well - I haven't sold my over $50K in gear yet. My dh loves photography, and my son is a natural at it. Surprisingly to us, my dd is developing an eye with her cheap carry around in my purse camera so I can post pics on Facebook camera. Late this summer I began teaching my son how to do photoshop basics, he has gotten the hang of layers and effects, and has created some very interesting images as a result. He is extremely artistic.

My shaking condition is permanent damage. As for my back, there may be a sliver of hope. We've been mapping out the nerves in my lower back and siadic area to determine which nerves are damaged and sending false pain repots to my brain. Currently my lower back, rear, upper right leg, and left knee are in constant pain. After 5 years on narcotics, I have been pain med free for about a month, so I am really feeling the pain now.

I consider it a great achievement to be able to walk the dogs two houses down and back. if i spot something I think would make a great picture, I usually take dh back there with me so he can capture it. I try my best to explain my vision of it, but we do see things differently through the lense.

If anyone finds themselves behind in putting albums together or processing proofs, or touching up final images prior to print, contact me, I would love to do that kind of work on the side.

I've been on this site for a long time, and learned much from may people (especially Kenny) - its time to give back. While I can't take the picture anymore, I still enjoy seeing what you all have created.

The next time you pick up your camera think of me, smile and take one for me.

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Sep/09/2010 3:36 AM

<< The next time you pick up your camera think of me, smile and take one for me. >>

I will mate.

Bottom
Next
Previous
This Topic has 2 pages :  [ 1 | 2 | Next ]
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.