Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
question about resoulution
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

chance
Date Posted: Jan/16/2011 7:46 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I am making a banner for a local forum and whenever I am finished and upload it to the site it is soft. I bumped the dpi up to 300 and still the same. it is 110x925. Do I make it bigger and then shrink it down??

-------------------------
My camera is for pleasure, not for pressure

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Jan/16/2011 1:20 PM
Print Thread Text Format
How are you making it bigger?

Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Jan/16/2011 5:37 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Just like you would in a recipe-double or triple the sides and width. Or wouldn't that work? Then shrink it down to the size it is supposed to be 925x110

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Jan/17/2011 4:04 AM
Print Thread Text Format
The easiest option would be to create the banner at the correct size in the first place

If you enlarge an image that is 72ppi you are bound to get artifacts such as jagged edges even if you increase the ppi... This is because when the original image was reduced for the web, all the subtle interim coloured pixels have been thrown out to reduce its size... Enlarging the image to 300ppi will not recreate those interim colured pixels...

You will never achieve a really sharp image but merely setting the crop tool to 925px X 110px X 72ppi will give you about the best results possible...

It's like someone saying that they convert 8 bit images into 16 bit images... An 8 bit image has 16,777,216 colours shades or hues, a 16 bit image has 281,474,976,710,656 colours shades or hues... They might increase the image size to that of an 16 bit image but they can't reproduce the extra 281 trillon plus colours that a 16 bit image has...

Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Jan/17/2011 6:08 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I did do it at that original size and it is soft. It will never be sharp? I am doomed?

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Jan/17/2011 9:53 AM
Print Thread Text Format
If you are doing it at the correct size to start with you should get it sharp, it's only if you try making it bigger from a low ppi that problems arise...

Create a new 8 bit file as follows... 925 x 110 pixels... resolution 96ppi (just cos I like that res and for no other reason)...
Make sure any images you add to the banner are also reduced to 96ppi...
Then add any text...

If you are using the save to web option add just a touch of unsharp mask berore you save.

Message edited by: kennymc on 01/17/2011 12:09:18

Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Jan/17/2011 5:58 PM
Print Thread Text Format
How about if I just attach what I did. I must have done something wrong because even the letters are soft. This is just rough draft but you get the idea. Thanks Kenny

bismanbanner.jpgbismanbanner.jpg ( 29 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Jan/17/2011 5:59 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Looking at it on here it doesn't look near as soft as on the local site I uploaded it to. I did it the same way I uploaded on here.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Jan/18/2011 4:43 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I don't have those fonts or the image but here's my attempt just to see if it appears sharp...

bismanbanner2.jpgbismanbanner2.jpg ( 91 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Jan/18/2011 5:22 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Thanks and your looks as sharp as mine here but I would have no way of knowing if it would be when uploaded-which I would never do. Thanks for taking the time to help me and I am going to try it again with your instructions.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Jan/19/2011 5:35 AM
Print Thread Text Format
If you wish to use it for trial or permenant use DO SO... All I did was to try and create your banner but didn't have the fonts, the image is yours...

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Jan/19/2011 8:27 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Kenny's version looks noticably cleaner on my monitor, when you say it looks the same as yours do you mean your original or the one you uploaded?

Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Jan/19/2011 10:19 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I guess what I am talking about is the font. I think I know the problem. I stretched mine. I made a new one that I didn't stretch and it turned out fine. Thanks again!

Bottom
Next
Previous

Victor
Date Posted: Jan/30/2011 9:21 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
This is no doubt overkill, but Illustrator will eliminate such problems. I wouldn't buy it and learn it for just an occasional banner though.

Fools rush in where he who hesitates is lost

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.