Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Concert Shoot and Focusing
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Snapshot56
Date Posted: Oct/27/2010 11:03 PM
Print Thread Text Format

Good evening

I am new to the field of event photography and seeking advice on an upcoming shoot. I am shooting a jazz concert with two artist and a trio band. The main artist will be on stage most of the time alone. This is my first time shooting this type of event and would appreciate pointers - are there certain do's and do nots in concert shooting? Any suggestions on camera settings? Also I have a problem focusing when there is more than one person in the scene. I am shooting with a fujifilm S3 Pro and a tamron lense 28mm - 75mm 2.8.

-------------------------
I AM A SUCCESS GOING SOMEWHERE TO SUCCEED!

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Oct/28/2010 5:18 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I haven't used an S3 but have tried the S5 which was more or less a D200 with a different sensor from memory.
Theres a lot of factors here, how close can you get? what sort of lighting is there? When I last did a jazz event the lighting was pretty bad, heavyly coloured lights at akward angles made it a bit of a pain if I'm honest, I did get some moody shots with the available light but had to use a little flash for some others.
For the focusing I'd focus on the eyes, but I'm slightly puzzled by your comment about having problems where theres more than one person in shot? Are you using enough depth of field to cover the differing subject distances from camera? I'm guessing that might be a factor.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Snapshot56
Date Posted: Oct/28/2010 11:38 PM
Print Thread Text Format

Thanks for your response and your honesty. I am not sure how close I can get; I have not visited the venue. However, I do have free movement. I am told that the lighting will be good although there will be colors. I must admit, I sometimes forget to change my settings for different shots - I must remember that one setting is not good for all shots. You may very well be correct in that my depth of field is not correct to cover the differing subject distances from the camera. I must learn to relax and think on my feet. I really appreciate your tips.

Thanks

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Oct/29/2010 5:31 AM
Are you planning on shooting with available light or flash?, for this I generally prefere available light, but sometimes (as above) there just wasn't enough, even with a really high iso it was hard going on times (and that was with a 1.4 lens).

I'd suggest you check out the venue at the same time of day if possible, take your camera and get a few readings, it'll give you an idea of what your up against on the day.

Wayne

Message edited by: swanseamale47 on 10/29/2010 05:31:48

Bottom
Next
Previous

Snapshot56
Date Posted: Oct/30/2010 12:36 AM
Print Thread Text Format

I will shoot with both available light and flash. That is if I can I will shoot with available light - my highest ISO is 1600 and my aperture is 2.8 so if possible I'll do both. The producer says that the lighting on the stage will be good and has advised me that there should not be a lot of shots of the artist with flash. Unfortunately, I will not have access to the venue until the day of the event. I will get there early - but after the lights have been setup and do some test shots. The event is in three weeks - so it gives me time to do some test shots in dim areas testing different settings. I really appreciate all of your tips and suggestions and welcome anymore that come to mind.

Thanks

Lady T

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Oct/30/2010 6:09 AM
If your camera only goes to 1600 iso it might be worth considering hiring something faster (just in case) Both the Canon 5d2 and the Nikon D3 are pretty good up to 6400 iso as long as you get the exposures right. and a tweek with noise removal software will sort out anything thats left.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Snapshot56
Date Posted: Oct/31/2010 1:17 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Good thought about renting a camera with a higher ISO; however, after researching this idea I find that it is too costly for me at this time. I will check with fuji customer service on tomorrow and see what they say about using the S3 Pro.

Thanks

Bottom
Next
Previous

Victor
Date Posted: Nov/01/2010 8:24 PM
Just a side note, I take lots of pictures of musicians and I've never had any complain about the flash. They are hams, or they wouldn't be there, and they love to have their pictures taken.

Fools rush in where he who hesitates is lost

Bottom
Next
Previous

Snapshot56
Date Posted: Nov/03/2010 2:47 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Hi Victor,

Thanks for the sidebar. I will shoot with flash but I would like to use available light also. I will do some practice shots over the next two and half week and prayerfully have great photos with and without flash.

Bottom
Next
Previous

carrollove
Date Posted: Dec/29/2010 1:42 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Reality can be beaten with enough imagination

Bottom
Next
Previous

Steve
Date Posted: Dec/30/2010 8:51 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Carroll - At least attribute the quote to the right person... Mark Twain

Steve

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination..... Mark Twain

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.