Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Macro Question
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

DJMG
Date Posted: Aug/30/2010 11:42 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Hi, this is my first time posting here - I'm hoping someone can help me out!

I'm fascinated by macro photography so I thought I'd give it a try.

Here's what I'm using:

Canon SX10 IS with a Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Lens (approximately +8)

I have the camera mounted on a macro rail which is on my tripod.

I use maximum zoom and set the manual focus to infinity and use my macro rail to fine tune the focus. To minimize shake I use the 10 second self timer and I'm shooting indoors.

So here's my problem/question: I use the LCD display to fine tune the focus using the macro rail. I get the image to be crystal clear, then I set the self timer. The picture on the LCD appears to stay in crisp, sharp focus both before and after the image is captured, but the photo itself always seems to be 'okay' at best - never the crisp, sharp image that I see in the LCD.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? I've tried turning off/on the image stabilization feature of the camera to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Aug/30/2010 11:57 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I don't know the lens your using but using Image Stablisiation on a tripod isn't recomended. Also are you stopping the lens down to say f11 or shooting wide upen. Another thought if it's a zoom lens is the lens "creeping" while your taking the picture. Also are you shooting long exposures or with flash, it's possible your tripod is shaking slightly during a long exposure.
Can you post a pic for us to see what your getting?
Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: Aug/30/2010 2:50 PM
In addition to the good stuff Wayne mentions there is an "issue" with digital photography in general. Generally speaking digital images come out of the camera a bit soft/foggy/or some would say blurry. This is typically and best fixed in a photo processing software. However check your camera manual on how to we sharpness as you can fix some of it there.

Bottom
Next
Previous

JJ2U
Date Posted: Sep/01/2010 6:20 PM
Just to throw my 2 cents in, the image you see on the LCD is very small. It wont display soft edges the same way a printed picture will. The larger the image the more critical, and of course more noticable, the focus. I don't know the camera you are using but if it is an slr you must focus through the view finder.

-------------------------
Joel W
"Coming together is a beginning...Staying together is progress...Working together is a success."
Anonymous

Bottom
Next
Previous

tractor
Date Posted: Sep/01/2010 8:30 PM
Also, check your printer, they are not all created equal.

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.