Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Angel
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]
This Topic has 2 pages :  [ 1 | 2 | Next ]

mommyfor4
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 9:41 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I borrowed my 3 teenager cousin's on Saturday and Sunday to practice potrait photography on them. These are a few of the oldest, she is 14(doesn't look it)

-------------------------
You should never be a photographer of any kind if photography doesn't bring you happiness.

angel4_edited-1.jpgangel4_edited-1.jpg ( 781 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

mommyfor4
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 9:42 AM

You should never be a photographer of any kind if photography doesn't bring you happiness.

angel3_edited-1.jpgangel3_edited-1.jpg ( 492 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

mommyfor4
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 9:43 AM
and last one.

angel6_edited-1.jpgangel6_edited-1.jpg ( 589 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

JeannetteB
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 10:36 AM
Very nice set mommyfor4

Where there's a will there's a way...

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 11:03 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Must get my eyes tested as they all look soft-blurry to me...

Bottom
Next
Previous

mommyfor4
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 11:44 AM
lol, well, now the first two look fine to me(I know thats not saying a whole lot) but that last one does have a soft blur effect that I noticed when I posted it here..

Bottom
Next
Previous

photolady
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 2:41 PM
Mary - look closely at the eyes in all 3. They are soft. Even if a photographer is going for a soft focus effect, it is nice to have the eyes in focus.

Alice

Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 5:38 PM
Print Thread Text Format
They have everything going for them except for I have to agree they are all soft. Could it be from resizing them??

My camera is for pleasure, not for pressure

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: Mar/01/2010 9:42 PM
Hope you don't mind but I did a little work on this one. Created a new layer of just the eyes and did a sharpen on them. Then used the dodge tool to lighten the catch lights a bit. Cloned out the dark circles under her eyes caused by the overhead light - see bellow.

Cloned out the mark on the bridge area of her nose but see I didn't do a good job on that, then did a slight softening of complexion. Did a quick dodge to light her teeth. If I overstepped here then say so and I'll remove the shot.

I feel the three of these are pretty good posing, etc. They do suffer from typical Canon softness of eyes due to a slight bit of under exposure. Looks like a general overcast day so you have nice soft light coming from directly over head. This causes the eye brow area to cast a shadow over they eyes, that's what the brows are supposed to do. Combat this with a reflector or an off camera flash at a stop or more under the ambient reading. This won't over power the nice soft natural light.

Message edited by: E. on 03/01/2010 21:44:48

angel4_edited-11.jpgangel4_edited-11.jpg ( 838 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/02/2010 3:52 AM
Print Thread Text Format
The softness is probably caused by the 1/50th of a second shutter speed and a little camera shake...

<< They do suffer from typical Canon softness of eyes due to a slight bit of under exposure >>

In a word BOLLOCKS...

Bottom
Next
Previous

mommyfor4
Date Posted: Mar/02/2010 9:09 AM
Okay, I see what ya'll are talking about! I'll have to definatly take those back into editing and fix that. Don't wanna give them out looking like that.....Not good.

Now, I know I have dodge tool in my PSE2. But I can't find it in my PSE6 or my CS4...where exactly is it?

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: Mar/02/2010 10:24 AM
BOLLOCKS???

Bottom
Next
Previous

chance
Date Posted: Mar/02/2010 7:20 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Nonsense

My camera is for pleasure, not for pressure

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: Mar/02/2010 8:59 PM
I guess I have to say horse hockey to camera shake and BOLLOCKS. Instead of leaving people hanging here's why.

1) Personal experience. I've shot subjects with direct over head light myself using my 30 D which is pretty much in the same class as the Rebel used in the shot in question. The all natural light gave the results that we see in this thread while the fill flash gave good clear eyes....same shutter speed.

2) Zoom in on an eye. Yeah, it's mushy, but also notice how the whites of the eye is muddy, gray/black. Eye whites do have red in them and at times I"ve even seen people that have a bit of a blue tint to them, but never that muddy gray/black. I can see how under exposure will cause this but as far as I know camera shake alone shouldn't, or won't, turn a white to muddy gray.

3) The dark circles under her eye. Caused by direct over head lighting and shadows. Again, camera movement won't do that will it?

4) Her teeth. While there looks to be a bit of yellow stain on some, they are basically white and don't have that muddy gray that the eyes do.

Now then, it's entirely possible that there is also motion blur (aka camera shake) going on here as well. But that doesn't preclude a slight bit of under exposure as well.

(Sitting back taking a bite out of my cookie and a slurp of milk waiting for a reply on this friendly conversation)

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/03/2010 1:37 AM
Print Thread Text Format
None of the image is sharp... Main cause of overall non sharpness is camera shake...
Not everyone can hold a camera steady while pressing the shutter button at 1/50 second...
Since when have Canon lenses been typically soft around the eyes, none I've ever owned in the past 34 years have been...
I'm not starting a Nikon v Canon war here, any instance of any image which is under exposed by any photographer is due to the photographers inability to expose correctly rather than the equipment they use...
Blaming Canon or any other reasonable equipment for producing typically soft eyes is total BOLLOCKS...

What's that saying...

It's better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone think you are an idiot, rather than open it and prove it beyond any doubt...

98% of the time you talk absolute sense and give good advice, the other 2% you talk BOLLOCKS and this is your 2%, but don't worry about it, mines usually 50%, but this isn't part of it...

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/03/2010 1:37 AM
Print Thread Text Format

Message edited by: kennymc on 03/03/2010 01:38:33

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: Mar/03/2010 10:26 AM
My Canon comment was not about their glass but about their lower end DSLR's in general. Over the years I've read lots of reviews where it has been mentioned about Canon's "softness".

So my comment that under exposure and not camera shake causes muddyness in the whites of eyes is BS????

Only 2% of the time???? Guess I got the wool pulled over your eyes. My wife tells me you got that backwards.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Let George Do It
Date Posted: Mar/08/2010 8:05 PM
E: There does not appear to be any camera shake in the images at all since the hairs on her head, while soft, are clearly not blurred from camera shake.
You should know better by now to even suggest that Canon could probably have a fault of any kind, even if as you say the Canon softness has been thoroughly discussed all over the internet.
Bollocks??? Nope.

George W Mann

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/09/2010 4:21 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Nice to see you back George...

Pray tell me in your infinite wisdom that if the blur is not caused by camera shake, how come the 2nd image is sharper than the first and the last one is totally blurry... Surely if it was the lenses fault they would all have the same amount of softness...

As far as Canon goes, I had to send my 1D back 3 times before they got it spot on, the EF28-90 MkI (soft round the edges) was a crappy lens, and my copy of the EF28-135 IS only produced contrasty images in good lighting but it was still sharp (sold on)...

The internet is full of Canon and Nikon knockers, most of them are just repeating what they've heard without ever owning the equipment they are slagging off, others just knock brands because they don't use them... It only takes an extremely small amount of movement while pressing the shutter button at 1/50 of a second to get a soft image whatever equipment to use...

Don't leave it so long next time George...

Bottom
Next
Previous

photolady
Date Posted: Mar/09/2010 10:07 AM
Just a side note - mommyfor4 has had problems with sharpness in her images regardless which camera she used (Fuji p&s, Olympus dSLR and now the Canon XS) so I suspect it is more technique than a deficiency in any one camera - learning how to hold a camera steady, proper exposure, etc.

Alice

Bottom
Next
Previous
This Topic has 2 pages :  [ 1 | 2 | Next ]
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.