Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Can you take part of a horizontal photo and make it a vertical
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

trendy
Date Posted: Jan/09/2008 9:03 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I need to know how to take part of a horizontal photo and make it into a vertical image.

I know I would lose a lot of pixels but I was wondering how to do this in Photo Shop.

I want to put some vertical pictures on my website and don't have very many of them.

trendy

-------------------------
I'm new to Wedding Photography, sometimes I love it.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Let George Do It
Date Posted: Jan/09/2008 10:03 PM
Trendy: Go to Image first and click duplicate. Then pick the crop tool and go up to the top where it says width and type in the width you want and then type in the height and the crop tool will automatically make it the size you typed as you drag it. You can move it around to the part you want with the move tool (the little hand) When it looks good right click and choose crop. Be sure to DUPLICATE your image first.

George W Mann

Bottom
Next
Previous

trendy
Date Posted: Jan/09/2008 10:57 PM
Thank You George,

I really appreciate this information. I'm going to go work on a couple images now. I'm updating one of my websites so the wedding
pictures aren't from weddings in 2004.

And, I always wanted to know how to do this for when I need a vertical image for a bride and don't have a good one already.

trendy

Bottom
Next
Previous

trendy
Date Posted: Jan/09/2008 11:46 PM
Hi George and everyone,

I made my new image in Photoshop. What I did was determine what my orginal pixel size was for height and width and when I cropped the image I entered the same pixel size but reversed the height for the orginal width measurement in pixels.

The image looks like a vertical image now. That is great. Now if I get this image processed at the lab will it turn out good. I cropped away part of the image but made it the same pixel size as the orginal but height reversed for width.

If I can get this printed and it turns out great this will be a wonderful ability for me to do.

Do you think the image will be printed good by the lab as a 4 x 6, 8 x 10, or ll x 14

thank you
trendy

Bottom
Next
Previous

Enoch
Date Posted: Jan/10/2008 4:21 AM
Hey trendy! It really depends on the shot, without seeing it, we can't really advise how its going to look printed. I would however, cation printing larger then 8x10. An 8x10 may look OK, if its of high quality. A 4x6 should be just fine, unless you went extreme on your crop. It will also depend on how close you will be when viewing.

"walked with God and was no more"

Bottom
Next
Previous

trendy
Date Posted: Jan/10/2008 9:19 AM
thanks for the advice Enoch,

I guess this is something that would be okay for the website but I better be careful getting prints made.

Thanks

Bottom
Next
Previous

BobF
Date Posted: Jan/10/2008 10:18 AM
Trendy, the easiest way to get portrait orientation (vertical) without having to crop a lot of an image away is to use your camera vertically. Simply turn the camera 90 degrees. If you don't like the feeling of having your hand over the top or underneath, buy an accessory grip and then you'll have the same hand position in both portrait and landscape orientation.

RF Photography

Bottom
Next
Previous

trendy
Date Posted: Jan/10/2008 5:30 PM
Hi Bob,

The reason I shy away from vertical photography is the nasty shadows I get because my flash unit is to one side. I have to get a flash bracket to position the flash evenly over the turned camera. I am going to get one, hopefully soon.

trendy

Bottom
Next
Previous

Matthew7v1
Date Posted: Jan/10/2008 7:52 PM
An image using the full height of the frame cropped to an 8x10 vertical will still be 2448x1958, which should be able to produce a decent 8x10.

But it's better to get it right in the camera.

Bottom
Next
Previous

trendy
Date Posted: Jan/10/2008 9:56 PM
Thanks Matthew,

This is good information for me to know. It seems like I learn something new everyday, and I still don't know a fraction of what I need to know to succeed in the Photography business.

trendy

Bottom
Next
Previous

BobF
Date Posted: Jan/11/2008 8:33 AM
Trendy, look into a Fong Lightsphere. Cheaper than a bracket and does a good job.

RF Photography

Bottom
Next
Previous

CompositionMan
Date Posted: Jan/16/2008 11:56 AM
If you are interested in seeing that it can be done, I did one in the current CROPPING thread in GENERAL INTEREST area, as did others.
Norm D

Norm Dunne - Lover of the Old Masters and their work

Message edited by: CompositionMan on 01/16/2008 11:57:57

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.