Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
My first L lens.
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Paparazzi Cathy
Date Posted: May/06/2011 8:37 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I finally bought an L lens. I have to say I'm disappointed. I've read so much about how great L lenses are, and I don't see a dang difference!

The lens I bought was 24-70mm.

-------------------------
No one takes a picture of something they want to forget.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: May/06/2011 2:28 PM
Print Thread Text Format
The 'BRICK' is the wedding photographers bible (Canon users only)... You can shoot wide open and the image should be sharp from edge to edge... If you aren't happy with it, try it on another body, and if it's still not right, send it back...

I mentioned on here a year or so ago that my Tamron 28-75 is almost as sharp as the 'BRICK'... It's a little softer at the edges wide open, and doesn't have the solid build quality of an 'L' lens but it is only a quarter of the price... Stopped down it as sharp as a tack...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Camera Happy
Date Posted: May/11/2011 10:46 PM
The other thing is that MOST lenses are at there sharpest 2 stops above their widest aperture (i.e. lowest f/stop) - this is due to diffraction issues...

E.g., a 50mm/1.8 should be at its "sharpest" at f/2.4 or 2.8 or higher; it will be a little soft in the focus at smaller than f/2.8 or 2.4...

Ad astra per aspera...

"To the stars through perseverence..."

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: May/12/2011 3:53 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I agree, but that's why 'L' class lenses are so pricey, they are capable of producing very good quality wide open...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Paparazzi Cathy
Date Posted: May/15/2011 12:35 PM
Thanks. I had forgotten about the "sweet spot". I will try a different f-stop and see if it gets better.

No one takes a picture of something they want to forget.

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.