Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Nikon d3100
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

shannon29
Date Posted: Mar/14/2011 1:58 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I would appreciate some feed back. I am not pleased with the lighting in this photo .. I had a black and silver umbrella reflector set up to the right, and a white soft umbrella to the left. What could I have done to make the lighting better in this pic? I used my Nikon d3100 with my nikkor 18-55mm lense. i am new to taking portraits. Any feed back would be appreciated. Oh one more thing is there a better lense I should be using?

-------------------------
shannon

Message edited by: shannon29 on 03/14/2011 02:00:35

forumcopy.JPGforumcopy.JPG ( 91 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Mar/14/2011 3:16 AM
The silver brolly is giving quite contrasty lighting compared to the white brolly but without knowing what effect you were after it's hard to figure out what you don't like.
Personally I think I'd have the lights more to the front and maybe up the power on the white fill? brolly (or move it a bit closer) Is the white a shoot through? they tend to cut down the light compared to a bounce off brolly.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/14/2011 3:52 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Like Wayne I would balance the lights output more, either by upping the power of the fill, or reducing the power of the main light...
My favourite lighting setup is based on Rembrandt lighting using softboxes because they give a very soft light...

Mechelle.jpgMechelle.jpg ( 48 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

Camera Happy
Date Posted: May/03/2011 4:32 PM
Shannon -

Question 1: What other lenses do you have? In my experience, the 18-55mm Nikkor can be just a little soft in the focus...

Not that everyone does, but I personally like to use prime lenses for my portraits - the focal length never changes so unless I change my distance from the subject, I can be relatively assured of similar captures. Also, I like the speed of prime lenses so it provides greater range with in-camera exposure and light output combinations...

Question 2: What power are you using for your lighting? And are you using strobes or floods?

IMHO - for portraits, sofboxes work better.

-------------------------
Ad astra per aspera...

"To the stars through perseverence..."

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.