Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
SLR mm film or Digital camera quastion
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Khighfi
Date Posted: Mar/02/2012 6:35 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Hello everyone.

Thank you very much letting me open discussing in this forum.

I don't know if this questioned answered before, if does please show me the link.

I want to shoot professional photography like 120mm cameras so i'll be able to enlarge the picture size to A3 or more, i have 35mm nikon SLR camera but not good for enlargements, i'm from old generation photography and have no idea if digital photography can print good resolutions like 120mm or close, my question shall i go to 120mm cameras or better to digital cameras.

Please let me know your opinion.

Many thanks.
Sincerely,

Bottom
Next
Previous

Steve
Date Posted: Mar/04/2012 8:02 AM
Print Thread Text Format
It is getting more and more difficult to find places that develop film. Digital is moving forward with better results at each advance. Using the proper software you can improve image resolution to get the enlargement results you need.

-------------------------
Steve

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination..... Mark Twain

Bottom
Next
Previous

Khighfi
Date Posted: Mar/05/2012 5:06 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Thank you steve for reply, so i understand 120mm film or films in general become less demand and better to go to digital.

As for software make better resolutions, as far i know the software have no control over resolutions as this happened by high resolution camera only, my knowledge go back before 7 years with Adobe photoshop and Nikon digital scanner for films. But if this happened can i make 35mm films (digitized by digital scanner) look like 120mm resolutions? and which software can do it?

And what you recommend good digital camera that can shot pictures like 120mm resolutions ? I sew sony models but i like to have your opinion.

Many thanks.
Sincerely,

Bottom
Next
Previous

Steve
Date Posted: Mar/05/2012 5:24 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I am no salesman... You might want to take a look at what Nikon has to offer as well as Cannon. It all depends on your preferences and what you are comfortable using.

-------------------------
Steve

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination..... Mark Twain

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Mar/05/2012 7:17 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Both the full frame Nikon and Canon digital cameras can produce superb A3 or bigger prints, indeed almost any half decent digital slr camera with a good lens will print a good A3.
If your after top quality check out the medium format digital backs, not cheap but good.

Message edited by: swanseamale47 on 03/05/2012 07:18:43

Bottom
Next
Previous

Khighfi
Date Posted: Mar/05/2012 11:49 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Thank you Steve and Swanseamale47 for reply.

please let me ask so i can educate myself better, as far i know 120mm photography (which called medium format) have better results not only because the film size being larger than 35mm but also the lens diameter is bigger, which permit better image details than any 35mm camera lens, i'm asking this because if Nikon or Canon their digital leans cameras equivalent to their 35mm camera then i'm not doing big different only by printing large image size like A3, which in fact i'm not only looking for this only but also a high image quality like 120mm.

To give you better idea in the past i used Nikon 35mm SLR cameras one of their top model, but every time i print i wasn't satisfied because the picture never look high quality or like 120mm, i wonder if this same with digital SLR or any different, and if the choice i go to medium formats could anyone suggest high quality brand with reasonable price, i know Hasselblad is popular but too expensive.

Please let me know some details about the different between digital formats so i can narrow my seach.

Many thanks.
Sincerely,

Message edited by: Khighfi on 03/05/2012 11:57:48

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/06/2012 5:13 AM
Print Thread Text Format
All a camera body does is record the image, it's the lens that gives the image its quality... Holga, Seagull and Lubitol are all 120 but the images are poor because of the quality of the lenses... I used to shoot with Bronica ETR and ETR's cameras and in 2003 Canon brought out the 10D from wich I could easily produce an image of quality at A3 and it was only 6.3MP... I sold my medium format cameras and lenses and the quality of the images from any of my cameras combined with 'L' class lenses is very high quality, put a cheap lens on and the quality drops...

Bottom
Next
Previous

Khighfi
Date Posted: Mar/08/2012 5:42 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Thank you all for helpful reply. Since i'm using Nikon digital scanner model Coolscan 4000, and i heard there is software can improve the resolution for better enlargements, may i ask which software cad do that? And what about photomatix software?

Many thanks. Please let me know.
Sincerely,

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Mar/10/2012 9:10 AM
There is a program called perfect resize 7 which will help in making really big enlargments, I did a comparrison a few months back and it was ever so slightly better than photoshops own resizing, but not much. Even at really big sizes you'd be hard put to see a difference, I doubt under real world conditions at normal viewing distances you'd actually be able to tell which was which.

Photomatix is a different sort of software, it's for making HDR (high dynamic range) type images, thats an image with a better tonal range than can be captured in a single shot, normally you'd shoot 3 or more shots (ideally on a tripod) at different exposures and the software blends the best bits of the different exposures together to produce a wider range of tones.
Photomatix is about the best for this (in my opinion) but it's not designed in any way for enlarging images.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Khighfi
Date Posted: Mar/12/2012 4:14 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Thank you swanseamale47 very much for clarifications, I have Photoshop CS 8 ME do you think its good enough?

By the way the best enlargement I did for 35mm is A4, the next is A3 but the picture loose resolution, i may miss some setting to improve resolution in photoshop, if there is may i know which ones?

Many thanks.

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Mar/13/2012 7:29 AM
For enlarging in photoshop use the bicubic smoother option on the image size box, it may help to add a little local contrast on really big images, try unsharp mask sharpening at a high radius low amount, then sharpen as normal, view at 100% when sharpening.
I'd advise doing a few test prints to determine the best setting for really big prints, as viewing on screen can be misleading with things like sharpening.

Bottom
Next
Previous

jasonbrien
Date Posted: May/14/2012 8:44 AM
I generally use Canon digital camera at bigger point and always give me satisfied photography. So you may also choose that one.

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.