Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
"Pro body" defined
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

BDD
Date Posted: Jan/20/2012 6:34 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Recently, I mentioned the term "pro body" in another forum and some one disagreed with my definition. I've always been under the impression that any hi-end camera with a built-in portrait grip (e.g. Nikon D2/D3/D4) is a "pro body". Big. Bulky. Heavy. But full of "pro features" needed for the working photographer (e.g. sports photographers needing 9FPS or faster, high MP like the D3x...customization not found in "consumer" or previously labelled "prosumer" cameras). True?

Been Googling "pro body". Guess it's one of those terms only known in the photography community but not defined.

Perhaps the forum member that was disagreeing with me assumed I was referring to which cameras can be considered "professional". Though he considered the Nikon D300/D300s as a "pro-body". When the D300 was first introduced it was considered a "prosumer" camera in Canada by Nikon Canada.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Jan/24/2012 6:54 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Not a Nikon man but if they use the same theory as Canon then they will be as follows...
Canon... Any camera with a 3 digit number is a consumer 600D... Any camera with a 2 digit number is a pro-sumer 50D... Any camera with a 1 digit number is a pro camera 1D,5D etc...
Pro cameras do not need to have fast FPS but you will find they all have magnesium alloy bodies to take the wear and tear. They dont usually have built in flashes, or fully automatic modes like sport, landscape etc... They expect the user to have aquired enough skill to be able to use the camera in Program, aperture priority, shutter priority or manual modes
A lot of features in a pro camera, when its replaced will be used in the next prosumer camera...

Bottom
Next
Previous

BDD
Date Posted: Jan/24/2012 12:28 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Hi Kennymc,

Thanks for your reply. But I should explain that when I used the term "pro body" I was trying to differentiate between the D4 and D800. Both considered "pro". Yet only one has a portrait grip.

A few years ago when Canon & Nikon used to group their cameras into I believe consumer, prosumer and professional...I think I recall reviewers referring to cameras w/ portrait grips as "pro bodies". Since that was the time before the included the D700 with the D3's. It was first considered "prosumer" (D3 in a D300 body).

I could understand why some reviewers used the term "pro body" that way since...there have never been entry-level to mid-range camera models WITH built-in portrait grips. Which was why I borrowed the term "pro body" to differentiate between the D4 and D800 in another forum.

I know the D6 SLR was a pro camera. That "pro" is obviously defined by more than just the body shell design including or not including a portrait grip. That it has to do with certain feature sets and degree of control customization. Etc. Just to be clear.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Jan/24/2012 5:12 PM
Print Thread Text Format
I thought the D800 was still in the rumour stage so I wouldn't like to classify it...

Bottom
Next
Previous

BDD
Date Posted: Jan/24/2012 5:18 PM
Print Thread Text Format
No the D800 is for real. Though there is a rumour that there is going to be 2 versions. One with AA and one without. Retailing for $3000 and $3900 USD. NUTS!! Overpriced IMHO. And they say the D800 is likely to be announced on Feb 7th. We'll find out if this will come true soon enough.

I was hoping it would come with a native ISO (or "useable ISO") range of at least 100-12,800 with a max of 204,xxx. But if the rumours are true...then the native ISO range will only be 100-6400. If so...I'm going to wait for the Canon 5D3 announcement. See if they offer this ISO range. Canon has been very secretive about the specs. I would have thought they would leak out more specs.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Jan/25/2012 1:23 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Wheres the Nikon specs for the 800? If Nikon havent released the specs then its all supposition (not saying it's not true just not confirmed).
What's up with the Canon 1Dx? apart from the price...

Bottom
Next
Previous

BDD
Date Posted: Jan/25/2012 1:42 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Google "Nikon Rumors". They are supposed to be fairly on the money.

What do you mean what's up with the 1D-X?

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.