Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
New Camera Help
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

PrissyCrissy
Date Posted: Dec/26/2010 1:28 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
I just received a new camera for Christmas. It's an Olympus E-450 Digital SLR Camera. I've never owned an Olympus. I've only had 3 cameras before this one. My first one was a Minolta film camera I got when I was 16 years old. I loved that camera. Please keep in mind I have never had any photography training. It's always just been point an shoot, and hope it's a good shot. My second camera was a Sony Mavica that used the 3.5 floppy's. It was a fun camera, and I have some great photos from it. Then I got the Sony Cyber-Shot 12x optical zoom, which I really like but knew if I wanted to really getting into taking photos I was going to need something more. Now that my children are getting older I'd really like to learn the ins and outs of photography and first I'd like to find out if this is a good camera for a beginner, or if I should go with something else. We still have a few days left that I can take it back and exchange it for something else. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Christina

Bottom
Next
Previous

PrissyCrissy
Date Posted: Dec/26/2010 1:32 AM
Just thought I'd go ahead and share a photo I took this past summer at the beach and see what anyone had to say about what I could have done better.

Thanks,

Christina

DSC07162.JPGDSC07162.JPG ( 662 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Dec/26/2010 5:12 AM
The E450 is a 10mp model introduced in March 2009, it appears to be aimed as an entry level camera but does have decent spec, it has a huge range of exposure modes, 18 I think, which should make switching from a compact easier.
It should be a pretty good proformer, Olympus lens in the past were pretty decent, at least the ones I owned were.
I'm sure you'll have a big learning curve but at the end of it you'll get some great pics.
Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous

jimmy h
Date Posted: Dec/26/2010 5:16 AM
hello christina
its a pleasure to meet you, your picture is lovely with beautiful colours and a light. i have taken the liberty of some minor adjustments to see what you think, just straightened horizon and levels adjusted a little. cannot help you with your camera as i use nikon, but sure somebody will be able too. only thing i can say is if you like it then use it, its quite often a personal thing with cameras, if you like the feel of it etc
welcome to the site
jimmy

-------------------------
wannabeoutside

DSC071621.jpgDSC071621.jpg ( 85 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

PrissyCrissy
Date Posted: Dec/26/2010 1:21 PM
Thank you both for the information. I think since we got such a good deal on this camera I am going to keep and try it out. As for learning, are the online schools for photography worth the money or should I just get some books and teach myself? Also is Photoshop the best program for editing or is there something else? Again thanks for the help. I also took this picture this past summer at Smith Mountain Lake we were on a boat and I had my husband stop. It was really hard to get a steady shot, but I tried any ideas on what to do when in a boat and you see something you just have to have a shot of? I'm sorry if I am bombarding you with questions, but how else does one learn?

Thanks,
Christina

DSC07310.JPGDSC07310.JPG ( 854 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

jimmy h
Date Posted: Dec/26/2010 2:51 PM
photoshop is the best on the market but its expensive to buy, get some books from the library and read but more to the point just practice, then if you still enjoy photography there are loads of options. bean bags are good to steady your camera on but on a rocking boat i suppose technique takes over. learned again by practice and trial and error. ask away as this is indeed how to learn from some really decent people who come here from time to time
jimmy

-------------------------
wannabeoutside

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Dec/26/2010 6:28 PM
Christina the boat image could do with a levels ahustment, I'll post an edited version if you wish.
Photoshop is probably the best editing software but not the easiest to learn, the more you use it and practice the better you'll become.
Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous

PrissyCrissy
Date Posted: Dec/26/2010 7:23 PM
Thank you guys for the input. Your more than welcome to edit the boat pic if you wish. My husband has an old version of photoshop would that work?

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Dec/28/2010 5:30 AM
All I did was ajust the levels and add a little sharpness, any version of photoshop would have these tools.

DSC07310A.jpgDSC07310A.jpg ( 749 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

LaverneFreda
Date Posted: Jul/09/2013 11:00 AM
Print Thread Text Format
If you're in the market for an external phone battery, then you need to consider Rayovac's PS72. Get instant power and get back on your phone in no time.

Battery Pack iphone

External Battery for phone

External Battery iphone

Bottom
Next
Previous

RonnieLaverne
Date Posted: Jul/16/2013 1:01 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Keep your iPhone powered up and ensure your mental well being by carrying portable power for iPhone with you all the time with one of Rayovac's chargers or external batteries for iPhones.

Portable Power for iPhone

charge iphone

Wall Charger for USB

Bottom
Next
Previous

GenevieveJenne
Date Posted: Aug/19/2013 11:28 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Traveling can be stressful. Make sure you are prepared and pack your portable rechargeable battery for iPhone users on the go. It's guaranteed to help you avoid any mishaps from a dying battery that may occur during your travels.

portable rechargeable battery for iphone

portable charger for usb

power charger iphone

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.