Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Pinhole Camera
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]
This Topic has 2 pages :  [ 1 | 2 | Next ]

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 7:31 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I am currently studying Photography as an A level and part of the course entales making a (very crude) Pinhole Camera, using a drinks can and some masking tape. The photograph below was taken using this camera I made with my can and tape. It's very dodgy I know, it has developer all over it as I'm still getting used to the darkroom side of the course. The white mark is another hole on the opposite side of the can, discarded because it was too large. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The last forum I posted this on, the image broke down after a while, if this happens here, let me know and I'll send you a copy of it.

-------------------------
Why does he wear that Hanus gear?

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 7:47 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Considering how you took it the quality isn't too bad, obviously you need to block the other hole up, and I have to ask if you painted the inside of the can black? this helps stop reflections. Are you shooting onto film, or paper? I assume film from the quality, I think it's a very good effort! Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 7:54 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Thanks very much for the advice Wayne. After this picture was developed, I did cover the hole up on the other side, but the inside of the can was not painted, I will suggest this next time. No, it was just photographic paper I shot on to. The quality was probably due to sheer fluke, lol. The picture was taken on a staircase with very little direct sunlight, so there wasn't much to interfere with it light-wise. The exposure was about 10 seconds.

Message edited by: Drawing_Flies on 10/03/2004 07:56:15

Bottom
Next
Previous

xghostpsalmx
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 8:53 AM
Print Thread Text Format
here's a pinhole i shot.

it has been solarized during developement.

neffy_550.gifneffy_550.gif ( 141 Kbytes)
Bottom
Next
Previous

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 9:27 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Thats awesome, what is that just right of centre? It looks like a little...Demon type creature.

Bottom
Next
Previous

xghostpsalmx
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 10:14 AM
Print Thread Text Format
heh.

it's this little paper bat i made and i carried it around and stuck it to things and took pictures of it.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 11:59 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Haha, that rules.

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 12:33 PM
Hi Drawing-files, from a paper neg thats really good quality! did you contact print it or convert it in Photoshop or something? I look forward to seeing some more Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 1:02 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Thanks again Wayne. Yeah I just scanned it in and inverted it, nothing else, no messing, lol. I was gonna play with the contrast a bit, but I decided to just leave it.

Anything else that turns out OK will appear on here. Thanks for the support.

Bottom
Next
Previous

mickey
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 4:25 PM
have any of you seen the pin hole cameras from Altoids mins cans? I had actually made one at one time but then i never did anything with it. I looked all over the web ect.. to find information on them but never did find what i was tryign to . IE exp. times etc...

But they are really a neat way to play with a peice of film or paper.

it was called pintoids i think but dont quote me it has been a while.
but i liek the shots here.

Just me and my fisherprice camera, learning more every day. Now where did I put that lens thingy....hmmmmmm?

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Oct/03/2004 11:43 PM
I remember seeing an article somewhere on converting a 35mm camera to pinhole using a body cap with the pinhole in it, and shooting on colour film, the guy got fair results, I think he used extention tubes to alter the focual lenghts? but I can't remember the details. Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous

Enoch
Date Posted: Oct/04/2004 12:50 AM
No reason why you couldn't do this with a Digital camera, right?

"walked with God and was no more"

Bottom
Next
Previous

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/04/2004 3:05 AM
Print Thread Text Format
I don't see why not, the only thing with that is, you wouldnt get the negative image you do with film, would you? I mean on account of there being no film.

Bottom
Next
Previous

mickey
Date Posted: Oct/04/2004 5:12 AM
seems i remeber somethign about the 35mm camera to. he used a lens cap or body cap and drilled a small hole in the cap. reattached it to the camera and set the timer for like 10secc.

he also did it with the lens on and used a lens cap to not sure if it was the same person now that i think of it. but i remeber this guy used the lens to focus but the resluts looked reall close but you could tell it was almost to perfect, took away the effect

Just me and my fisherprice camera, learning more every day. Now where did I put that lens thingy....hmmmmmm?

Bottom
Next
Previous

Smurf Mamita
Date Posted: Oct/04/2004 4:54 PM
Print Thread Text Format
How long did you expose it for? It looks like you took it inside, correct? I tried doing that with my pinhole camera, and I couldn't get an image because the lighting wasn't direct sunlight. You know, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this, but I would really like to see a positive from that negative image.

Si cortas una rosa,
Tienes que espinarte un dedo
Para tener un amor,
Hay que llorar primero.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/05/2004 10:53 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Yeah it was taken inside, there wasn't any direct sunlight, meaning it didnt get too heavily exposed. It was exposed for about 10 seconds. That is what I got after scanning it in and inverting it, so that one is the positive, my original before that is the negative, which is now ruined through solarization by the way, lol. Which is a bit of a downer. At least I got it scanned in first.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/05/2004 1:26 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Made my new pinhole Camera today, using a Cherry Coke can. (Pinhole Canera?)...

....And I took swanseamale47's advice and painted the inside black.

Bottom
Next
Previous

mickey
Date Posted: Oct/26/2004 10:14 AM
so any updates on this subject? just currious on how the new camera you made worked out?

Bottom
Next
Previous

Drawing_Flies
Date Posted: Oct/28/2004 8:06 AM
Print Thread Text Format
The new painted camera works a lot lot better than the old one. I have taken two pictures with it up to now, but one was left in the fix and i forgot about it, and it was gone the next day, and the other one had lots of camera shake. Lol camera shake...from a can. But painting it was definately a great idea, thank you Wayne for that.

If and when any decent enough pictures come out of it, I will post them here.

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Oct/28/2004 12:07 PM
No problem DF just put a cheque in the post for me lol, I look forward to some pics. Wayne

Bottom
Next
Previous
This Topic has 2 pages :  [ 1 | 2 | Next ]
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.