Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Action Photos ?
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Theo
Date Posted: Aug/18/2010 11:22 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Kenny and Alice seem to be the pros in this department. I never had much interest in trying it until I viewed some of your photos. I picked up a used sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens with no stabilization. I'm sure I will need plenty of practice but don't know where to start. This lens is much bigger and heavier than my others. do you use a tripod or monopod? Or do they limit you to much? Just don't know if I can hold it steady or not even at high shutter speeds. My neighbors are always riding dirt bikes, thought I might start with that. Also a speedway a few miles from home. How about some tips for this rookie? Thanks

Bottom
Next
Previous

jimmy h
Date Posted: Aug/18/2010 1:24 PM
Hello Theo
ive got the very same lens matey you will have bags of fun with it, are you still on the d200 body, if so this will be a killer combo, as you said Alice and Kenny have all the info you need but i would have thought a reasonably high iso and keep the lens wide open and your on a winner mate

-------------------------
wannabeoutside

Bottom
Next
Previous

photolady
Date Posted: Aug/18/2010 1:31 PM
Theo - I have the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens. Yes, the lens can be considered on the heavy side (1470 grams/3+ lbs.) but I handhold it and almost never have the IS turned on because I'm using fast shutter speeds. I use it a lot for low-light indoor work.

If I'm shooting outdoors, I typically start with my Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS lens until the light fails me. Then I switch over to the 70-200. Deciding whether to use the 70-200 or the 100-400 all depends on how close I am to the action and the amount of light available. If I'm shooting outdoors in a baseball park or at a soccer of football field, I like to start with the 100-400 if at all possible. With the 70-200, especially in soccer and football, I have to be much more patient waiting for the action to come to me.

The best advice I can give you is practice, practice and practice some more. Your neighbors on the dirt bikes would be a good start - just stay focused on where the bikes are at all times.

Alice

Bottom
Next
Previous

Theo
Date Posted: Aug/20/2010 8:41 AM
Thanks Alice, I'll be trying it out soon. Jimmy I just moved up to the d300. I have used it indoors and what a difference it makes in low light.

Bottom
Next
Previous

jimmy h
Date Posted: Aug/20/2010 7:18 PM
its a great big difference matey, i have the same its a great bit of kit, hard to believe what a difference there really is till you have seen for yourself,i though it must be a load of manufacturers hype at first but wow.

wannabeoutside

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.