Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
action shots
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Maegirl43
Date Posted: Jun/28/2010 9:53 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Hello pic peeps, i really enjoy all the posting of pics on here. it really helps with ideas and techniques. i am wanting to play around with shooting some action baseball shots. i have never done this before so i have no idea what settings to start with. i am shooting with a canon 50d digital camera. any suggestions from some of you veterans would be much appreciated. also, the best position to photography from............thanks

Bottom
Next
Previous

photolady
Date Posted: Jun/28/2010 11:01 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
A couple questions for you first:

1. What level of play? T-ball? Little League? High School? College? Pro?

2. Do you know what kind of access you will have?

Yes, my recommendations will depend on what level you want to shoot and where you will be allowed to shoot from.

-------------------------
Alice

Message edited by: photolady on 06/28/2010 23:06:50

Bottom
Next
Previous

Maegirl43
Date Posted: Jun/29/2010 8:55 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Yes sorry Alice....I'm sure thats important into. It is one week of baseball (9-15 yr olds) and then coach pitch softball for the little ones also. The director just asked me what I need so I took that as I would have any access I want...That shouldn't be a problem. Does this help?

Bottom
Next
Previous

photolady
Date Posted: Jun/30/2010 9:47 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Maegirl43 - I'll start with the coach pitch softball. Since it is coach pitch, the team's "pitcher" will only be fielding the ball if it is hit back to the pitcher so you obviously won't be shooting the pitcher. Most of your action shots will be of the batter and catcher. There will be a few fielding shots but I've found these to be few and far between. Shooting from the first base side will get the best shots of the right handed batters. Keep track of the lefties and move to the third base side for shots of these batters.

For the baseball games, batting shots will be the same as for coach pitch - first base line for the righties and third base line for the lefties. Obviously you can't be in both places at the same time so keep track of where the lefties are in the line up and set up accordingly on either the first base or third base line so you get shots of all the batters at some point during the game.

Pitchers - you obviously can't be on the field behind the catcher and ump so set up behind the wire backstop and put your lens as close to the wires as you can so that they don't show in your photos. You will actually be shooting through the openings in the wires. I like to move a little to the right or left of the ump and catcher depending on if the pitcher is a rightie or leftie. After I get a few of these, I'll move to the first base or third base line. Again, this depends on if the pitcher is a rightie or leftie.

Watch the plays on the field. If this league is like the games I've shot, the younger players are limited in the sliding they can do on the bases but you can still get defensive plays on the bases. Then as the players are older, you can get some good sliding shots. These boys love to slide and will do it whenever possible. The younger the players, the more time you'll have to react but older runners can steal a base on you before you can react if you're not concentrating.

Catchers - either from the first base or third base line. Again, I make my decision on whether the catcher is right or left handed.

In the outfield - coach pitch and younger baseball players can give you some good shots of non-baseball activity. Some of this can be attention on butterflies in the outfield, playing with the grass, etc. Older players can and do actually catch the ball so you can get some good shots there.

The younger players have the cute factor and parents typically like these shots. The older the player the more technical skills they have and shots showing the technical aspect are what parents like. Also, get shots of interactions between the coaches and players, the players themselves, celebrations such as crossing home plate after home runs, etc.

For camera settings, I like to start with a shutter speed of 1/1250 second as a minimum and prefer 1/1600. This will usually freeze the action. A little motion blur on the ball can hint at the speed. I like to try to get shots as the ball meets the bat. I use whatever ISO I need to achieve the shutter speeds and this will depend on whether it is a sunny or cloudy day and the time of day. I like to use the widest aperture possible to blur the background while still having the player in focus.

Overall, I try to make the players, regardless of age or skill level, look like All-Stars.

A word of caution - be aware at all times where the ball is. Foul balls whether pop-ups or line drives just foul down the baseline can hurt. If you hear anyone yell "heads up", find that ball quickly. Usually it is going behind the backstop but can also come down the baseline.

Just keep in mind that the older the player the faster the game and the faster your reaction time will need to be. My problem with shooting baseball is that I tend to get bored because most of the action involves 3 players on a consistent basis - catcher, batter and pitcher. I really have to concentrate on what is happening on the infield and outfield so that I don't miss plays there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-------------------------
Alice

Bottom
Next
Previous

Maegirl43
Date Posted: Jun/30/2010 5:28 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Wow Alice..Thanks for the detailed response. that really helps. the event isn't unti about the 2nd week of July so i will hav some time to practice a little. i will post some pics. i really appreciate your help. its great to have a place to go ask a question and get a wonderful and helpful response. thanks again for your time.

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.