Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Importance-of-photography portfolio
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Sumit
Date Posted: Mar/21/2011 9:04 AM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Importance-of-portfolio

Introduction

Developing a portfolio of your art is one of the most important parts you can fulfill as a commercial photographer. Unfortunately, comparatively few photographers build portfolios as they find the procedure daunting or feel their work is not good enough to be provided in a portfolio. Others squirm at the idea they would have to look at very large number photographs taken over many years. Yet others do not know how to decide on photographs for a portfolio. Finally, there are those who assume that a portfolio cannot be formed by them.

While these worries are fair, let me start out by saying that they are incorrect. Creating a portfolio is not the over whelming job it is touted to be. Let's commence by taking a close look at what is a portfolio, move forward to examine why it is significant to build portfolios of your work, and learn how you can make a portfolio of your own work.

2 What is a Portfolio?

A portfolio is, a porte folio, in French, that means a page carrier. A folio is a big page approximately the size of a single newspaper page. Porte means to carry. A porte folio, shortened to portfolio in English, is actually a tool to carry loose pages. The first target of the porte folio is to possess these pages together in a secure place so that they do not get lost or damaged. For artists these pages are works of art on paper.

There is no intended limitation on the type of the works of art done in a portfolio. These can be drawings, paintings, architectural sketches, photographs, collages, etc. The system used to have these pieces of art with each other, the porte part of the porte folio, can be a folder, a box or some other component chosen by the artist. Finally, there are no limitations on who can design a portfolio. It is oftentimes the artists themselves who produce portfolios of their art work.

3 Portfolios and Portfolios

In today's digital age, and in theory, a portfolio no longer needs to be printed. It can be created only by digital means, either from scanned or digital photographs color corrected and optimized then exhibited in PDF, jpeg or other platform-independent format.

Having your art-work online can open many new doors and get your artwork seen by a whole new audience that would have never seen it hanging in a traditional gallery. It could be a complimentary marketing tool with your gallery if you have one, or it can be a portfolio to get you noticed if you are just beginning.

Your web-page could be your own art gallery open 24 hours a day with a possible audience of millions worldwide. If you are already available by a commercial art gallery your internet site can be a excellent product for marketing your exhibitions and displaying your artwork to collectors all over the world. Or if you are seeking a commercial art gallery you can let them know you exist by making them informed of your portfolio online.

Most online art galleries also let artists to link to their web sites from their gallery profiles, making it attractive to possess both a portfolio and several online gallery profiles.

[Website URL removed by Administrator]

-------------------------
Regards

Message edited by: PhotographyTips.com moderator on 03/25/2011 09:59:04

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Mar/21/2011 10:16 AM
Personally I won't use a service that wants the rights and licence to reproduce my images, especially when then say that they may make them available to other companies who they have a relationship with. I'm not giving my work away for free!

Plenty of free websites around to host your pics if you want them online without using this service.

Message edited by: swanseamale47 on 03/21/2011 10:17:17

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Mar/23/2011 2:15 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Not for me either...
As you say Sumit a portfolio is just a collection of images... Any photographer who is serious about their work already has at least one... I have several, one for each type of subject I photograph so a client only sees the type of work that is of interest to them...

Is this thread just a cheap way of advertising a site for you?...

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Mar/23/2011 3:42 AM

<< s this thread just a cheap way of advertising a site for you?... >>

My thoughts as well.

Message edited by: swanseamale47 on 03/23/2011 03:42:57

Bottom
Next
Previous

Sumit
Date Posted: Mar/31/2011 8:44 AM
Are you talking about offline portfolio or online portfolio.If you pay for an online portfolio you will have multiple templates and designs,your website with your own name.com and lots more features which you don't generally get with the free service.

-------------------------
Regards

Bottom
Next
Previous

kendrikwiley
Date Posted: Apr/09/2013 4:51 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Photography portfolio helps to shows how experience person you are in the field of photography. Portfolio is like face and the reputation. It should be sensible and regular updated. In short it shows how quality work your doing.

Bottom
Next
Previous

wolfgang
Date Posted: Apr/29/2013 10:14 AM
Photography portfolio give the presentation of your wedding photography and it is important. If you haven't any portfolio then how to convince to your customer and give the example of the wedding photography.

Best Wedding Photography

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.