Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Photography Business
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Lidia
Date Posted: Sep/05/2008 6:49 PM
Print Thread Text Format
I have always wanted to start my own photography business since high school, but never did. Ever since I got my D300 and the more I have been taking pictures I have decided to start my own photography business, I am super excited and its something I dreamed about and well I am going for it :-)
I will do Weddings but I want to lean more towards other events like kids birthdays, or family's that want pictures taken for there x-mas cards, etc.
I am also starting a photography course next week to freshen up on my knowledge which I am super excited for too :-)

Does anyone have some tips for me?
Things to look out for?
Do's and Don'ts of staring your own photography business?

thank you !!!! I am now addicted to this forum cause all of you have such great tips and I love getting my photo's critiqued by you all, everything what you say is awesome and your not to hard on my photo's or anyone else!!!

Bottom
Next
Previous

E.
Date Posted: Sep/06/2008 12:17 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
For weddings have back up equipment - at least 2 bodies and 2 flashes. Always take plenty of batteries and memory cards too.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Lidia
Date Posted: Sep/06/2008 1:06 PM
Print Thread Text Format
E. thank you
I have noticed that most photographers have 2 bodies, which is a great idea because then you don't have to waist time to switch the len's and then less chance of dust going in.
Oh boy i sure do know about bringing extra batteries, my first wedding which was my cousin's and I did it for free for her cause I wanted pictures for my portfolio, well i was taking pictures right from the AM with the flash too and by 9pm the batteries started to die, and i didn't have any extra ones, luckly i had the charger for them so I kept running to charge them which was a huge pain the in the ass, so know im going to buy a whole bunch of them !!!!!

Bottom
Next
Previous

kennymc
Date Posted: Sep/06/2008 1:07 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Learn accountancy, taking photo's is only a small part of running a photography business...

Bottom
Next
Previous

kalem
Date Posted: Sep/08/2008 10:04 AM
Hi, you are making a good decision. I made a similar decision earlier in my photography life. Unfortunately, I made a lot of mistakes. So many, in fact, that the experience gave me a very bad taste for photography for a number of years.

It wasnt photography. It was me! KennyMc offers very good advice  learn business practices, accounting, insurances, etc. I found out much too late that taking photos because I love doing so, is one thing  taking photos because I have bills to pay, is something else entirely!

If I were starting out all over again, I would specifically pursue freelance photography as a method to get into the photography business and to determine what photography niche is best for me (as a photography business). Freelance photography offers photographers access to various types of photography services. Some niches require more time than others. For example, I currently dont do any business in the niches that require a lot of workflow time. So, for me weddings are out. Even though wedding photography is a very in-demand and lucrative niche, I prefer niches with less.

Pursuing freelance photography would allow you to test the photography niche(s) that are a good fit for you. I hope this is helpful.

Good luck.

Bottom
Next
Previous

nes
Date Posted: Sep/08/2008 10:55 AM
Take marketing classes. Even the best photographer with bad marketing is an out of business photographer.

About 20% of my time is taking pictures, 30% is working images, putting albums together framing etc. The other 50% is in marketing and sales.

Understand how to run a business, acounting etc. Taxes alone are fun to work with.

IF you are in the US - look to get incorportated and getting your tax id number.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Ronny
Date Posted: Sep/18/2008 5:29 PM
Firs of all, congratulation. One of the things I would like to tell you is, always keep in mind that professional Photography is just part of your business as Kenny and Nes stated above, another important side of business is selling and promoting yourself. Try to become unique and offer a different service or product than your competition. Tray to set yourself apart from Everyone else in your market.

Have you tried to take a clear vision for your new business? Assuming you are serving a client, how will you be different than everyone else? The best tip I may give to you is to use creative thinking and brainstorming with a friend how is not so in to photography, someone you can trust and that maybe is good at brainstorming. As you contribute with your own ideas, you want to allow yourself the liberty to believe that, anything is possible. Develop those ideas to come up with that unique offer for your customers.

Even if I'm not a professional Photographer myself, this advice, given to me by John Alexander, had help me a lot in establishing my own business. One of my brand new project can be found at my - [Website promotion deleted by Administrator. The Forums are not intended to be for free advertising.]

I wish you the best luck and one more thing, always keep your skills and knowledge fresh and constantly increasing.

Message edited by: PhotographyTips.com moderator on 04/19/2013 22:24:36

Bottom
Next
Previous

Paparazzi Cathy
Date Posted: Sep/19/2008 6:18 AM
Ronny, you should go back through the text on your website to correct errors.

-------------------------
No one takes a picture of something they want to forget.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Ronny
Date Posted: Sep/22/2008 11:25 AM
Hi Cathy

First of all, thanks a lot for your comment.

I will do that. Something I will appreciate big-time is what you saw wrong in there.
As a newbie myself and English not being my mother language, it may be appearing ok for me but as you say mistakes are there.

Bottom
Next
Previous

Lidia
Date Posted: Sep/22/2008 3:54 PM
Print Thread Text Format
Ronny and everyone else,

Thank you so much for all your feed back !!!!

Message edited by: Lidia on 09/22/2008 15:55:33

Bottom
Next
Previous

Let George Do It
Date Posted: Sep/22/2008 4:14 PM
Lidia: Like the others have said there is a lot more to being in the photography business than just taking photographs. There is one very important thing though that no one mentioned. You mentioned you will do weddings. Have you ever assisted a wedding photographer??? There are many pitfalls to shooting weddings if you are not experienced. You have to know exactly which shots are required of every wedding and reception. You are taking on an event that is the most important event of a young/old couples life and there are no do overs. Many photographers have been sued and lost over misrepresenting their abilities in all phases of photography. If you forget or do not know an important shot you can get a bad reputation before you ever get started. The D300 is an excellent camera, but it does NOT make a professional out of you. That takes practice,practice,practice. Listen carefully to Nes she has very good business sense and a successful Wedding business. Do you know anything about lighting for weddings and the Christmas portraits, kids pictures you mentioned. A built in flash like the one in the D300 does not cut it. Lighting for everything is a very important part of the process and without the proper equipment and ability/knowledge to use it you are lost before you get started. I know you are very excited to get going, but we all were, so take it a little slower and really learn before you jump in a fire you cannot get out of.

George W Mann

Message edited by: Let George Do It on 09/22/2008 16:22:15

Bottom
Next
Previous

Victor
Date Posted: Sep/23/2008 10:57 AM
Ronny, here are some suggestions. I tried to use a light hand and not change anymore of your text than necessary. [The following is from Ronny's site]

With the new hi-tech Digital cameras, anyone can be a good photographer with a little patience and thought. Here you will find some basic newbie photography tips to get you on track to making great photographs.
Get To Know Your Camera.
Although most cameras are similar in their basic functions, there are many differences in in their capabilities. Thats why it is important to get to know your camera and its owners manual. Find out the flash range, and when you are using it, always have this range in mind. Identify the focus points on the viewfinder or display screen. Cameras differ on the spot where they adjust the focus and you may find out its either in the center, on the right side, on corners or other specific spots. Knowing these focus capabilities will help you to focus first and then frame your shot.
Get closer to your objective.
Always keep in mind who or what the subject of your photograph is. Dont be afraid to get close and if you think you are close enough, get closer to verify. When photographing people, a too large background usually causes distraction or they may even get lost. Dont allow too much space above a persons head. Try to fill your screen or viewfinder with your subject. Just keep in mind, the limitations of your camera and the focus range [Not exactly sure what you mean here] it can handle. In most cases this will be around 3 feet. The zoom may be a great way to get around it and do the take closer than that.
Rule of Thirds.
This is perhaps the best known principle of photographic composition. Imagine your photo is divided into 3 by 3 equal parts, horizontal and vertical. Placing your main subjects around 2 of the 4 intersections of these lines, is thought to produce a more eye-pleasing photograph.
Find the Spot.
Move around and find the best side of your subject. Move side to side, up and down and try to level yourself with it. Sometimes, the best spot may be right above it.[What do you mean by it?] By simply moving around your subject can create surprising results and incredible photographs.
Watch for your surroundings.
Even if you focus on your subject, dont forget that the surroundings may absorb or diminish it. Always consider where it is located and try to take the best advantages to emphasize its main features. Believe it or not, it is easy to miss these things. Try to keep your background and surroundings simple. And try to keep bright light sources at your back.[not sure about that, how about avoid having bright light sources behind your subject.]
Practice these simple newbie photography tips and you may find the artist within you. Remember that practice makes the master and keep looking for more idea and techniques that can significantly improve your images and you will be on your way to making great photographs!

Fools rush in where he who hesitates is lost

Bottom
Next
Previous

emmabean44
Date Posted: Sep/26/2008 9:17 PM
Print Thread Text Format
While I agree with the advice to take marketing classes, I think there are a few rules you can use right away that will expand your client base immediately. The first one is make sure you take photo sessions (even mock ones if there are no events coming up) with friends and family to expand your portfolio. The next is to advertise on free pro listings, like this photographer list, and the third is to ask if you can put your business cards in restaurants, spas, etc, in your local area. Remember, the key is to have low overhead while getting your name out as much as possible. Good luck.

It's a wonderful day.

Bottom
Next
Previous

jasonbrien
Date Posted: Jul/26/2012 2:12 AM
My advice is, embrace the whole concept of marketing with vigor, whether campaigning, networking or social networking, have fun plotting the goals of our business...you are not running ICI, you are running a creative business so be creative with your marketing. To do this use as many methods as possible. There are two methods all businesses should use, the PULL and PUSH.

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Jul/26/2012 6:56 AM
What George has said is good advice to listen too, theres a lot of things that can (and will) go wrong at weddings, everything from the lighting to the weather, cameras can fail, even peole can die (yes had it happen at a wedding the grooms dad died)
So you need spare kit for all your gear, thats spare cameras, lens, flash etc etc etc, you need to know the camera inside out so you don't have to look to ajust something, you need to learn about lighting, as George say on camera flash is far from ideal for most shots.
A wedding is a one time only deal, screw it up and your lightly to get sued, so make sure you have good insurance.

Bottom
Next
Previous

kendrikwiley
Date Posted: Apr/11/2013 2:35 AM
Print Thread Text Format
Initial phases of photography business is little bit tougher. For starting this kind business one need passion, skills and talent. Decide what kind of photography you need and always invest tour money in high quality equipments.

Bottom
Next
Previous

wilsonclark
Date Posted: Jul/03/2013 4:09 AM
Hi, if you want to start your photography business, then make sure that you have all the equipments and sources that will be needed in the photography. while you are going in a wedding or in a birthday party for photography, you must have batteries and memory cards in a good quantity to avoid the inconvenience.

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.