Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Flickr
Connect with us on LinkedIn

SPONSORS

Sell Photos Online

FEATURED SITES

PhotographyTips.com - the #1 guide to better conventional and digital photography Become a Member iPhone Posing GuideGuide to Posing the Female Model BookGuide to Posing the Model CD
Login

Photography Forums

Category:
customize
profile new topic join search today help
home
login
Author
Message Text For:
Meteor showers 2012
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

Savina
Date Posted: Aug/08/2012 12:26 PM
View Profile Print Thread Text Format
Please share your BEST TIPS for shooting meteor showers....I plan to be up (maybe, ) to shoot them - if I can see them here from N. AL.....any help?

-------------------------
CC always welcome! And thanks! :D
You're never a failure when you fail. You're a failure when you QUIT!

Bottom
Next
Previous

ken
Date Posted: Aug/09/2012 12:44 PM
I've never really had much luck at it, but here's what I know from dabbling in photography and astronomy. During a meteor shower, the meteors will appear to radiate from one location in the sky - in the case of the upcoming shower, they will appear to come from the constellation Perseus, hence the name Perseid meteor shower. Get away from city lights, use a wide-angle lens, mount your camera on a tripod, point it at the sky, and open the shutter for a long time - probably several minutes. Use a large aperture setting (small number), and a fast ISO setting. You will probably want to take several shots, as this is mostly luck. You don't have to point your camera at the radiant point, but it will make a cool picture if you do, as it will be easy to trace the meteors back to their point of origin in the sky.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

ken

Bottom
Next
Previous

Savina
Date Posted: Aug/10/2012 2:53 PM
You're a DOLL!!! Thanks so much! I plan to get out and try, try try! Will print off your instructions and hopefully I can make some great shots!

-------------------------
CC always welcome! And thanks! :D
You're never a failure when you fail. You're a failure when you QUIT!

Message edited by: Savina on 08/10/2012 14:54:56

Bottom
Next
Previous

swanseamale47
Date Posted: Aug/10/2012 4:45 PM
You might also want to find an old building or tree of something to add a little foreground intrest, maybe paint it with light or a flash or two.

Bottom
Next
Previous

ken
Date Posted: Aug/13/2012 12:38 PM
Well, I got out this weekend and tried my own advice. I found that in my location in town with a lot of light pollution, I actually had to use a low ISO so the sky wouldn't be completely washed out by a long exposure. I tried several shots of a few minutes each and could see the stars in my photos, but neither the camera nor I saw any meteors.

Conditions weren't the best either, as the sky looked kind of hazy, then clouds started moving in, and that pretty much shut me down. Maybe next time.

Hope this helps!

ken

Bottom
Next
Previous
[ FORUMS : THREADS : REFRESH : NEXT THREAD ]

FuseTalk v2.1 - Copyright © 1999-2001 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.